Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Going On With These Sad Pennies? (1982 D And 1984 D)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 652Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  3:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found these in pocket change. What the heck happened to these pennies?

*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Note to Moderator: I'm not putting this in Varieties and Errors because it might be PMD. If it is some kind of mint error feel free to move. Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
25416 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tws, looks to me like the copper plating has been stripped away in a few places and now there is shiny zinc core visible. On the other hand, it might be something shiny and metallic (like soldier) on top of the plating. Can you please give us weights of these Two Cents? Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1982D (copper) is 3.1gm and the 1984D (zinc) is 2.5. (My scales only go to 1/10 gram.)
Edited by twslisa
11/21/2022 4:09 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12178 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73352 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be, but I think Spence calls it.
Learn More...
United States
118320 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Note to Moderator: I'm not putting this in Varieties and Errors because it might be PMD. If it is some kind of mint error feel free to move. Thanks!
I moved this to the V/E sub-forum. Even when things are not errors, the discussion serves to educate people. Examples on non-errors and why they not errors are just aw important as verified errors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I moved this to the V/E sub-forum. Even when things are not errors, the discussion serves to educate people. Examples on non-errors and why they not errors are just aw important as verified errors.

Cool! Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe better (larger) photos of the copper '82D is in order here.

Here's another full picture of the obverse and some closeups of the questionable areas.

Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I did try a 20 minute acetone bath, and a gentle swipe with a Q-tip to see if anything came off—nope.
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's weird is that in this photo it almost looks like some kinda green gunk has attached to the surface of the coin—like it's raised—but under the microscope, it looks just the opposite, like the surface got scraped off and whatever is under it has some kind of rot.
Edited by twslisa
11/21/2022 7:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  11:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you has it is Zink oxide which past the Cu plating and with the Cu form what is say CuZn oxide which is green. Nothing can clean this. Are methods to slow down the process but will not clean. This chemical oxide reaction it is destructive for the coin.
Learn More...
Australia
14804 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2022  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1982 doesn't have zinc rot, because it's not zinc; that coin's solid bronze according to the reported weight. However, it does have corrosion spots. Basically, the coin got placed somewhere in the open, some noxious goo splatted onto it, and it stayed there untouched for years.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SAP: the zinc plated cents start in 1982. Before was not bronze from 1946 end of August when was change from Bronze to Brass. Sorry, if you need the docs, PM me and pleasure to send to a big resource person,

For 1946 I find with what I have and XRF 1 in 12 been Brass in 250 coins
Edited by silviosi
11/22/2022 12:05 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  01:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silviosi, based on the weight on the 1982D (3.1 grams) it should be mostly copper, shouldn't it? The 1984D has what looks like the same thing (to a lesser extent), and weighs 2.5 grams.

Even without the yuck, neither of these coins would be particularly valuable unless there was some sort of variation, so I wasn't really trying to save them, just wondered why two coins of different dates and compositions had the same "disease," and wondered if it could be identified. The acetone bath was just to see if any of it came off.

Anyway, even if the '82 is mostly copper, it still has SOME zinc, so could still be zinc rot, right?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3647 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  03:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer it is YES. The '84 we ignore for the moment. We will discuss the 1982. If it is 3.1 gr , yes same oxides could be developed in the environments. It is show that in dry and very humid changed was develop. I have no idea where you are located, but in some parts where for example: Winter is dry and summer humid or vice versa, the oxide will develop. The only way to stop in those environments is mineral oil treatment and then vacuum. Do it is worth to do this for your coins? You decide.

Once the Cu Zn start is really hard and very costly to stop.

This it is my answer.

PS. In your first post you do not say it is 3.1 gr which it is an 1982 brass coin and not bronze.
Pillar of the Community
United States
726 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2022  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In your first post you do not say it is 3.1 gr which it is an 1982 brass coin and not bronze.

Yes, sorry. I didn't give that info until later in the thread.

Thanks for the info!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: