Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bullion Silver Bars A Good Buy?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 487Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  07:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thomaskl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I try to buy silver on Ebay for reasonable markup, but seeing as how Ebay charges sellers close to 14 percent selling fee plus 30 cents per transaction on top of shipping I don't see how anyone can sell there without losing money, including me.

I notice that you can purchase 2 oz poured silver bars from the Prospector Gold and Gems mint for around $52 plus shipping. Wouldn't this be a practical way to buy bullion? I did notice that on an Ebay auction a one ounce bar from this company went for $82 when bidders got into a bidding war, and there was nothing special about it.I guess some people have more money than sense.
Edited by thomaskl
11/29/2022 08:04 am
Learn More...
United States
26063 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Wouldn't this be a practical way to buy bullion?

Yep agreed. I think that buying bullion from bullion dealers is a very practical idea.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's wise to shop around. On eBay there are trusted well known major dealers and individuals. Be careful. some sell fakes either by deception or they don't know enough to realize they are selling fakes. I trust the major dealers/private mints online stores such as SD Bullion, Liberty Coin, JM Bullion, APMEX, Bullion Exchanges, Scottsdale Mint, Golden State Mint to name a few. Some of the dealers not only have their own sites, they also sell on eBay. I assume they have contracts with eBay for smaller commissions due to high volume of sales because sometimes their prices on eBay are cheaper than their own online stores. Watch for online sales, there was some good Black Friday deals last weekend. Also, you could check out local coin stores if you have any in your area.
Edited by livingwater
11/29/2022 1:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
599 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
livingwater, I've noticed the same thing: it's often cheaper to buy bullion from some of these big sellers on eBay as opposed to their web sites. Especially if you pay via Paypal.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
1270 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've noticed the same thing: it's often cheaper to buy bullion from some of these big sellers on eBay as opposed to their web sites. Especially if you pay via Paypal.

Or, since eBay doesn't charge a credit card fee, if you use a credit card. Especially one that has a cash back feature.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20588 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are into larger pieces of bullion, it follows that the buyer is less interested in the numismatic aspects of bullion accumulation and so,
silver in bar form would be the best way to go.

In one ounce form, Cdn Maple Leafs or ASE's would be better, due to their popularity, and better recognized that silver rounds, despite their higher premiums.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2022  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thomaskl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with sel_69l that ASEs and Cdn Maple Leafs are extremely easy to resell if you need to. But I like chunks of silver, too. I think I first got interested in coin collecting when I saw huge piles of gold in the comic book safes of Scrooge McDuck when I was a kid back in the '70s
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 487Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: