Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 D Cent Small Date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 556Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mint proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Kinda dirty didn't want to clean it but was going threw some change and weighing them and found this weighs 2.6 spend it or not to spend it is the question

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4215 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes to me it is a small date. 2.6 with the dirt it is normal. If you do not has in the collection keep. Is no value on those coins for this year if it is not MS 68 or more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a large date, but really doesn't matter. Just worth face value large or small zinc.
Edited by lcutler
11/29/2022 5:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a spender.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17363 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  6:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Large Date worth 1 cent, spend it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13857 Posts
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mint proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm posting another picture!!!! Sorry.hope you all look please not saying I'm right at all?Take a look at the 2 closer at the end. It does have a tail on it maybe no one seen it in the picture and I didn't show the reverse etheir hope this helps but what my question is doesn't this tail make it a small date? And also the reverse of the coin the metal content is a give away because the bubbles there is something at the bottom the stairs maybe a scratch looks like a mouse or something to me lol also something going on with the Side of the stairs in the pillars idk maybe just my eyes but question is are we sure this isent a small date considering the tail on the 2 my question

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13857 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry your coin is a large date zinc cent. Here is a comparison of the 2 types.
Not mentioned in the image is the gap from the tail of the 2 to the rim. On a small date - there is a large gap, conversely, on a large date - there is a small gap.
Your coin has a small gap.
Edited by Dearborn
11/29/2022 9:04 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17363 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is also a Large Date that has zinc rot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
722 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, large date zinc.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, still a large date. they are really easy to tell apart once you get the hang of it. The shape of the 2 and the distance of the 2 from the rim are the first things I look at.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9166 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, small date worth one cent.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13857 Posts
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mint proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't the mint use a large date die when they switched over to zinc? It didn't work so good so they had to make relief in die . I guess the zinc was so hard on the die and the cent didn't come out very well. This was all due to copper prices going up and having to switch over to zinc. I have been digging on this topic trying to gain more knowledge on this so I know what I'm looking for. I know some information can't be giving due to people trying to make counterfeit coins. That's very understandable I just keep running into riddles lol!!!! It's Copper, it's zinc, it's bronze, it brass, some things are just confusing lol but part of learning is seeking the knowledge to become deeper into the hobby... I'm not gonna lie I get thrown for a loop sometimes on what I read but honestly makes me dig deeper and gain my own understanding and then comming to a conclusion that states Facts.you wanna know you will search for the answer not just trust what someone says everything because you will most likely get scammed lol truth appreciate everyone I'm still doing research on this coin I have assumptions but I will lay the facts out tonite but think I have an idea !!!!'
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mint proof to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeh now that I understand more I see it is a large cent. I had gotten better understanding on the small and large after I posted this when the couple replies got confusing. couple people saying small date then more people say large date I looked at some small and large so now I can see this then I had to go down the rabbit hole and research the history of 1982 coins and dig dig dig lol I'm newbie I have been fascinated with coins and history because I do know there is more meaning to a coin than just finding and having it for the rarity or selling it there is history behind every year so I really want to get into this hobby it's interesting. Any good pointers on websites just connected to history not on specifics just history of coinage In general I do search and read but just wondering if any good reads are worth looking into or place to start into this hobby
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10161 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2022  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any good pointers on websites just connected to history not on specifics just history of coinage In general I do search and read but just wondering if any good reads are worth looking into or place to start into this hobby

You have already found the best sight for coins available, right here on CCF! You can search past posts at the top of every page in the text box on the left side. Spend time reading and studying CCF pages and you'll learn a lot!
ça va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 556Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: