Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need To Search 1000's Of Pennies

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,041Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NickM1965 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New member to the forum here from New Jersey. Assisting a friend with downsizing and there are about 6 or 7 water bottles full of pennies, the 5 gallon water size bottles. The collecting started back in the 1980's. Is there any easier way to search for any valuable pennies in this large collection besides emptying the jugs and going though the contents. Obviously it's a huge time consuming job and wondering if anybody has any shortcuts. Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
23869 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nick, and welcome to the Forum!
Unfortunately, the "brute force" approach is probably your only option. Go through them coin by coin.
I would start with the oldest of the jugs and do a sample test. Separate out all 1982 and before coins, tossing any wheats into a separate pile.
Then do the same with the most recent jug.
Base on these results, you may want to invest in a coin rolling device and simply deposit them at the bank.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48388 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My first question is what level of numismatic knowledge do you have? Do you know what to look for? It would be easiest to just sell them as is, unsearched by the jug.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9128 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

For a cent hoard such as this staring in the 1980's you are going to need a lot of time and a lot of specialized knowledge to make a coin by coin search worthwhile.

I don't want to be discouraging but want to convey the reality of what a search of these entails:

You will need to go through them coin by coin, examining each one with at least an 8x device and comparing what you see to known varieties and the occasional mint error.

That could take years for this many cents - and unlikely you are going to accumulate enough 'valuable' coins to make it worth your time.

Personally, I would find a way to bulk deposit them and take the cash.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5840 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  06:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with nickelsearcher and others. You would spend hundreds and hundreds of hours going through them. The return on invested time just wouldn't be worth it.

Also, welcome to the Forum! You've come to a phenomenal place to Share and Learn.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10553 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love to be in your shoes. What I'd do is dump each jug, one at a time, and extract any wheat cents and other stand-out oddities. I wouldn't bother meticulously examining each and every cent--just do the first extraction. Unload (deposit, sell, etc.) the remaining--perhaps get rid of them at a local coin show. Later, set aside a little time every few days or so and work your way through the pile of wheat cents and oddities. Chances are that pile will be quite manageable--perhaps several hundred pieces, not tens of thousands.

Would be fun to see some photos of the hoard.

Good fun!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74957 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck!

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
120433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2022  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , You have a huge task ahead of you . As already mentioned , do you know what to look for ? If not , your task will be 10 times more difficult . Might not want to bother after all . I don't believe searching tens of thousands of pennies just to find a few wheat cents would even be worth the trouble . Oh ,you say but what about all the 95% copper pennies I could find ? Are you kidding me ; So what will you do with them ? Their illegal to melt , so just sit on them for maybe 10 or 20 years collecting dust .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2022  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickM1965 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips on taking on this task. Still not sure what we will do but now I know some options. Thanks for the help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5615 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2022  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would pass and just deposit these. Based on time/value your results won't be profitable. I once searched over 1500 wheat cents from the 1940's and all I found was common date wheat cents. Literally not worth the time to search through them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
703 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2022  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The options are to start taking them to coinstar machines found at groceries and many other places as that doesn't require putting in rolls, then either getting an Amazon or other gift certificate you would normally use for no added charge or pay a fee to get cash minus the fee. Alternatively you can roll them manually and take to bank to deposit as coin roll machines cost money as well. Alternatively you can separate 1981 and earlier pennies as these are copper and have a minor increase in value, while dumping the 1983 and later cents. 1982 some are copper, some are zinc and would require a scale to weigh to differentiate. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/pen...lated-768853 You could further separate out the earlier wheat reverses and later look for the older dates that are key dates or have potential value even when condition is lower than uncirculated. https://www.PCGS.com/prices

As to looking through them otherwise in more depth as collectors might, that is certainly possible but will take a lot of time. You need to at minimum to have a way to look at and examine the coins up close and better to pick up a book like strike it rich with pocket change 5th edition and additionally/or use free online websites such as https://doubleddie.com/ and https://varietyvista.com/index.htm and https://www.coppercoins.com/advsearch.php to attempt to locate varieties or errors beyond looking for just pre 82 copper, wheat reverses/key dates that would make the time spent potentially worthwhile. There are lots of cents with value but that value comes from time spent looking along with the knowledge of what to look for, combined with some luck. Someone with patience and willingness to learn what to look for may pay off big and yes there are cents worth tens of thousands and rarely, even more, but is not guaranteed. Someone with that willingness and patience would love a pile of coins such as you have to search through - the more you search for (with the knowledge of what to search), the more likely you are to have success.
Edited by datadragon
12/11/2022 12:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2327 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2022  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is similar to hunting rolls of coins, for which therte is a forum of enthusiasts at http://goccf.com/f/147
Pillar of the Community
United States
1893 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2022  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would get the 1959 to date penny folders and start filling them. It goes pretty fast after a few hours but is very slow at first. You might miss a few good coins at first but this is part of the learning curve. After a while of saving the best specimen of each date you'll have an excellent reference collection and you will start noticing varieties. Know some of the best varieties before you even start. a little research in the cherry pickers guides and online guides will help.

http://www.varietyvista.com/

It's a fun hobby and there are lots of great coins in circulation even if you might not find anything valuable. The most valuable thing you can find is the hobby and the knowledge you can gain. Ypou'll also find coin collectors are a great bunch of people to meet.

Best of luck.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13739 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2022  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Check Dearborn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
35 gallons of Cents? Phew.. that is a load, and a HUGE task to undertake. As stated above, I would just try to fins all the 1909 to 1958 dated cent coins and save them and cash in the rest....
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 1,041Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.43 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: