Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1927 Straits Settlements King George V Silver 10 Coin Struck In Bronze?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 343Next Topic  
Valued Member

Singapore
111 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  08:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins Mania to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Could anyone confirm my suspicion that this 1927 Straits Settlements King George V Silver 10 coin was struck in the 1916 1/4 Bronze instead? Thus, an error coin. Or is it just pure counterfeit?

The coin obverse and reverse:

The coin weighs 2.3g on my scale

And Diameter is 18mm

Stacking the aforesaid coin with the 1916 1/4 Bronze for a close comparison.

The thickness of the 1927 supposing Bronze 10 is more in line with the 1916 Bronze 1/4

Pillar of the Community
United States
1590 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wrong planchet error is exactly what the name indicates - a coin struck on a planchet intended for another denomination (domestic or foreign). The incorrect planchet may have the same composition (e.g. a quarter struck on a dime planchet) or it may be a different composition (e.g., a quarter struck on a nickel planchet).

An off-metal error is a coin struck on a planchet whose composition does not match the composition that normally characterizes the coin. While off-metal errors can be wrong planchet errors, this is not always the case. For example, a dime struck on a copper core is off-metal but is not really a wrong planchet.

What does your DIGITAL micrometer read as the thickness? John Lorenzo Numismatist
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1420 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm more interested in the edge image. It doesn't look like a solid brass coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2022  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks cast to me.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
1482 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect counterfeits from whatever countries I can.
Some locations never seem to be found, while others appear more frequently.
Malaya, Malaya & British Borneo and Straits Settlements are included among those that have crossed my desk a number of times.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 343Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: