Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1947 D Nickel Wrong Planchette?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 409Next Topic  
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  01:33 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Colton999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 1947 nickel in pocket change and noticed that when I dropped it on the table or flicked it in the air it didn't make a ringing noise like the rest of the nickels it had more of a thud noise to it. it's in amazing condition and weighs exactly 5 grams . anyone have any idea what I have stumbled upon? I'll post up a video and pictures later
Edited by Colton999
12/09/2022 04:11 am
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  04:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Colton999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4354 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fine to me. It should weigh 5 grams
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48465 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Looks normal to me also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10605 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, given the images posted it appears to be a common, circulated '47 nickel.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
75021 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing unusual to the eye.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
510 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bugil46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing to see here
Pillar of the Community
United States
1150 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As stated 5 grams is normal and so is the coin.
Learn More...
United States
120601 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2333 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2022  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
any breaks in the metal along the edges? those would dampen the ring noise
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Colton999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it looks normal the weight is correct.now how do I post a video so you guys can hear the noise it makes when I flick it in the air? And there is no break on the edges And I'll flick a nickel with breaks on the edges to show that even if that was the case it would still make a ringing noise. this nickel just makes a thud noise when my thumb hits it no ringing. even a zinc penny makes a slight quick ringing noise
Edited by Colton999
12/11/2022 7:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4215 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sound test is nothing. I remember a You Tube video of a young guy (stupid on allegation and presentations) who state sound test. This it is not a test for coins. Your coin was struck in Phil in '47 and on that year Philadelphia do not struck foreign coins..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Several things can cause a coin to not ring, planchet void, lamination problem, even the way you check it. That is why it is not really any kind of "test", it could be a reason to look at a coin closer, but really proves nothing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9166 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

I see a normal circulated 1947 Philly minted Jefferson nickel.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20588 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some coins are ' dumb', when it comes to having a ping tone.
The usual reason for this is an internal lamination, which is not visible on the surface.

This coin has a genuine and a quite (otherwise) normal planchet.

A spender, unfortunately.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10161 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2022  06:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No videos here, sorry. As mentioned, you have a normal nickel, nothing special, sorry.
ça va bien aller

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 409Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: