Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A 1996-D Quarter - Missing The Copper Core Error, Comments..

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 125 / Views: 29,213Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  11:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing research on this topic "Wrong Struck Planchets", the nomenclature used for this "error"is I-E-9-Quarter stock Planchet-E.Rarity level unknown.I did place the coin, in its 2x2 flip in a micrometer and with the flips layers of clear film included the coin measures, in front of Georges face( where it is blank), but on the reverse the eagles feathers are included in the measurement of 0.052, interestingly though, I also placed the micrometer on Georges face on the Obv and on the belly of the eagle on the reverse and came up with the measurement of 0.050, this, to me is odd because of these spots being both on the relief of the coin, you would expect this area to be the thickest! I did the same spot measurements on a "normal" quarter and on the face and eagles tummy come up with 0.061-2, also the same size measured from in front of Georges face to the eagles feathers on the reverse with 0.061-2 !

I have this 1996-D quarter which should weigh 5.6 grams, but weighs 4.5 grams, I did measure the thickness, it is very much thinner than a regular quarter, as the pictures show. I believe the inner core of copper is missing! Again I have been entrusted to research, and understand the topic.Then depending on my findings, probably place up for auction.I removed the coin from the flip and took pictures of the edge of the coin, with a 1973 quarter for a comparison, in the pictures the coin on the right is the error coin.I would also add, no sign of copper at all present on the 1996-D coin.I would also state the reeded edge is very inconsistent and spotty.

I am asking for any advice or informational sites on this topic, I did post pictures, and measured the coins thickness, thanking you all in advance for the assistance, Mike....
I hope these photos help, thanks again for the input.I would also add the coins perimeter is weak and not consistent, while the details of George's hair are very well struck, also the coins Obverse is slightly Broadstruck,in the date, the #6 is just a stick figure of the original normal digit's size, also with the rim not even there in places.
The reverse again seemingly Broadstruck and the rim again not consistent, if there at all, eagles feathers are also very well struck, while the fields are blotchy and not as clear.

I believe this coin was struck on the wrong planchet, when I do the drop on a wooden table test or the thumb flick in the air test the Totally recognized sound of silver rings out, I do know that sound, believe me.....ALL just my opinion!

Edited by morgans dad
03/28/2010 12:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34205 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a quarter missing the copper core it might be on a nickel planchet, there for it should weigh what a nickel weighs, right? Just a thought.
Can't wait for the pix.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1920 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds interesting. It's too light for a nickel planchet, which would weigh 5 grams. I am not aware of any off-metal quarters of this nature for this year. Photos of both faces and the edge would help.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45084 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen plated quarters with the edge showing no copper. (Probably one of the platinum ones from one of the HSC) Is the missing core one the image on the right on the lower images? Or is this one a nickel. You can see the copper one on the left.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John,

I believe a Nickel weighs 5 grams, so that one is not an option, I have "thought" about a wrong planchet struck coin, but that is all I have done about that option......
I also did the thumb toss with this coin, and the sound of silver rings out, unlike a clad coin, this is the first time I have had this coin in hand, removed from the flip since I received it, Mike.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Coop, The error coin on edge is on the right.....In both pictures.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45084 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the reeding on the edge is missing?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2010  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, it is missing, the edge is for the most part smooth. It would appear from the pictures that the error coin is as thick or thicker than the example I used, but believe me it is an optical illusion, the error coin is very much thinner.?

All opinions welcome please, even some sites where I might find more information or a clue to just what I have here! Mike..
Pillar of the Community
United States
1920 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that this coin has been tampered with. The smooth edge is abnormally thick and appears convex in vertical cross-section. That would indicate the coin was rolled and squeezed at some point. I suspect the coin was plated afterward. This would not explain the drastic decrease in weight, however. Better, larger photographs would help, with close-ups of the peripheral elements.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike,

Thanks for all of your input.
I posted more pictures.I appreciate your time and effort, but I do not feel the coin has been tampered with,having the coin in hand. My pictures are probably the reason you feel this way as they were not as good as I needed them to be( still learning ).The better pictures show the edge is not all smooth,some reeding present upon closer inspection, and is not abnormally thick, again my pictures....
I do think the newer pictures posted will show more detail, thickness of rim, comparison coin, etc.Thanks again for the input.Mike
Pillar of the Community
United States
1920 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm impressed. The peripheral letters show conspicuous metal flow, which is indicative of a planchet that started out smaller than usual. It would appear that you have an "orphan" off-metal error, i.e., one that doesn't correspond to anything the Mint was producing for another country. The Mint wasn't producing ANYTHING for other countries in this year. A real mystery and a fantastic find.

By the way, have you checked to see if it's attracted to a magnet?
Edited by mikediamond
03/28/2010 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also wonder if the coin was also struck on a piece of the planchet that didn't have any copper or was too thin. I have noticed that especially for older quarters, the copper core is uneven, so that some might have more copper and some might have less. Maybe this was struck on a part that just didn't have any copper...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike,

I am glad to be a member of a group of Numismatists/Collectors that has an "IN HOUSE" expertise of these proportions!Talk about being impressed.

I am also glad my photos were able to assist in confirming my original hunch, Thanking you again, Mike.....
Mike, What would you do to confirm this "mystery". Also the magnet test, NOT steel, I do believe I know the ring of "silver"!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WD, Hello, I am appreciative of all the input on this topic.
I know the circumstances you are suggesting and while plausible, with coin in hand, and doing a drop test on a wooden table, "we" all know too well the sound of the ping of silver, which is what I am hearing, while even along your suggestion about the Planchets being "mixed inconsistently" and maybe this coins composition does not have the "proper" amount of copper, I would still be suspect because the other metals used for this coins composition are NOT , for this year, silver..which is what I hear, also the coin is so thin I feel by holding it it is unlike any coin I have held before that was made for circulation, this is almost 'fragile" it is so thin.

Thanks again to you and others for the ability to tap the minds of some very bright, experienced, well educated people/collectors, for which I am again very grateful, and proud to be a part of, be well, Mike.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1920 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you'd like me to weigh it, perform a specific gravity test, and write it up for Coin World, PM me please. -- Mike Diamond

<<<Email address removed from the post. Please use the forum email system to start communication. Spambots love to see email address links, so we try to keep them out of posts. Tights24>>>
Pillar of the Community
United States
2580 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2010  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it is possible it is a counterfit, there are counterfit quarters that have been struck in the 1980's but most of these are magnetic and extremely shoddy in design. Though I have seen counterfit SBA's that were not magnetic and cast struck. Look for a cast mark along the edge. A counterfit would certinly not be struck in silver.

-XoG
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 125 / Views: 29,213Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05