Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Error South Carolina Quarter  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  6:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add somewheresouth to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

I'm new here. I've been collecting coins for over a decade, but have never grown very knowledgeable. It was more a side note to my metal-detecting/treasure hunting hobbies. I would just keep the old coins I found in the ground and in my change.

A few months ago I found this SC quarter in the change machine at work. It is NOT CLAD. If you look at the edge there's no copper showing at any point on the coin.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? I don't even know what type of error it is, or what it may or may not be worth.

Thanks everyone,
Ryan

Pillar of the Community
United States
3426 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not too much of a stretch that it may be silver. Stranger things come out of those machines. Do you know it's weight?
It would be great to see a pic of the obv. & rev.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
does the coin have a mint mark? They did make silver proof state quarters that would show no copper core
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11350 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bryan1315 that a silver proof could have made it into circulation

or maybe it is one of the plated quarters. Which mint mark, and weight would help.
GoldRush58 - GR58
Pillar of the Community
United States
1423 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2010  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bmanofnbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check it with your detector and see what kind of signal you get compared to clad & silver quarters.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2660 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2010  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SWS, Welcome to the Family, I suspect the most sensible first, I believe like stated above your coin is probably an "S" Mint marked silver Proof coin, I could be wrong!!If it has a "P" Mint Mark, it is from the Philly Mint and you would then have an error coin, being the Philly Mint only minted Business strikes,which were produced with a copper core, the San Francisco Mint did some proofs in clad, which would show the copper around the rim and some Proofs in silver only, no copper around the rim......I hope this helps, some full coin pictures would assist in exacting an answer for you, good luck, ......
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2010  04:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was working at the ANA this summer, and someone brought in a 2001-P (SC, too!) quarter that was missing its core. It was much lighter than a regular quarter as well. We examined it and there were no signs of plating or other kind of alteration, and I think we decided it could have been struck from a place on the strip that had only a very thin core or no core.

Anyways, the weight would be the best determinant.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12421 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2010  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP mentions being a casual collector so I assume he can tell the difference between a proof and business strike coin. Chances that it is a non-proof silver planchet are almost zero and the chances that it is an off-metal strike are very slim but possible. Odds are very high that this quarter has been plated post-mint, there are many plated alterations in circulation. The only way you can know with certainty is to get an accurate weight.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
587 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2010  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add razorear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read somewhere that if the punches get slightly worn it could push the outer layer over the sides hiding the copper core. Does this make any sence to anyone?
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2010  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add somewheresouth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the help guys. It is a P-mint and far too light to be silver. I also scanned it with my metal detector and it gave a reading identical to a PA quarter. I'm going to swing by the post office tomorrow to get an accurate weight.

I'll keep ya'll posted, and thanks again,
Ryan
Pillar of the Community
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2010  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were tens of thousands of silver and platinum 'plated' state quarters sold by our friends on late night TV. All were from the P mint, and sold for about $10 each. I've found one in circulation myself - they appear to have no copper core because the coin is completely coated, even around the rim. I fed mine to the laundry machine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2010  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
or - oh yeah! - It could have been struck on a planchet for a foreign coin (maybe a pure CuNi coin). There's a few examples of cents being struck on 2 centavo blanks and the like back in the 40s, when the mint struck coins for other nations, but I'm not so sure about today...
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2010  05:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeyZ76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are known state quarters that are struck on experimental planchets but the only ones know are: DE,PA,CT.GA and NJ.

Of these,there is at least one type that does not have a copper core.

No known SC quarters with the wrong planchet.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2010  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add somewheresouth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey all,

So here's what I have so far:

South Carolina Quarter, P mint.

Weight: 5.634g (weight of Montana quarter on same scale: 5.683 g)

Metal detector: Same reading/signal as other state quarters.

So, we know: Its not silver (metal detector and weight). Its not plated (weighs slightly less than other state quarters and detail is too sharp [see photo below]). It is definately not clad. (see photo above).

Any ideas on what might of caused this or what type of error this may be? I am interested on posting this coin up on eBay if it has a value greater than, say $2, but I've found other common errors (clips, blank planchets) before and know not to get my hopes up. So any information on what it is and how much it might be worth would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to thank all the folks above. This is a very knoweledgable forum and I know where I can come now when I have questions.

Thanks again folks,
Ryan

Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2010  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Awesome Wally to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somewheresouth, I have a Denver mint Iowa quarter that may be similar to yours. I have been curious about it ever since I got it. Does your quarter have a textured surface, almost like the die was sandblasted?
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2010  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JoeyZ76 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrong planchet state quarters have sold for $10,000.00
If you think you have one then you need to send it to James Wiles at CONECA to authenticate it.
It will cost you $5.00 plus return postage+insurance.
Then you will KNOW FOR CERTAIN.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05