Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

If you bought these coins... would you leave them in the....  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  04:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-2009-Linco...em3cb43a1c7f

if you bought these coins on eBay, in the longrun would it be better if they are still in the wrapper? or would you take them out and put them in the tubes? or would you buy nickel tubes and put the whole penny roll in them?

opinions?
Valued Member
Canada
274 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi !

If you want to keep them for long shot I think that I will prefer to don't broke them.

If you want to sell or trade of course that you don't have any choice.

Thanks !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2119 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chris12018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pm sent
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great question, I wonder the same. My opinion would be to not break them and stick the rolls into tubes. Some of my open rolls I have rerolled into paper wrappers, then stuck them into a tube... but I don't know for sure what is best.

I would like to know as well!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16557 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sort of like the idea of putting each one in a Nickel Plastic tube. This way no air, moisture, basses of any type can get to them. For long term storage, kind of a good idea. HOWEVER, it all depends. Will they be worth the cost of the tubes in 20 years? Will you still be around to know? I suspect that way to many people are doing something similar so they will never really be worth saving. MAYBE. Sort of you really never know.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read what the seller said about breaking the coins out and then putting them into tubes. His argument is that the paper is worthless, but he doesn't describe any disadvantages to leaving them in the paper.

I found some original uncirculated bank rolls from the 60s. After breaking them out, every coin was in perfect condition. Leaving those cents wrapped up for 40-50 years protected them if nothing else, but they certainly did not hurt. So I put them back in the original wrapper and put them into tubes. But those were copper, I don't know anything about the new cents.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ebm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While storing them is easier just in the paper roll, I also like the idea of slipping them into a nickel tube. I may switch over some of my older bank rolls to this form.

Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add monkeyman67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have an opinion as to wether this is a good deal? I was thinking about buying these pennies and if you guys think it is good maybe I will pull the trigger.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And I assume that the paper helps protect the coins from slight changes in humidity, especially the old brown ones. That is just how I feel though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Compared to everything else on eBay right now, it looks like the best deal. I, too, wonder whether I should pick up a set of these. But I also wonder if these cents will end up like the Susan B. If this series of cents never gets used in circulation, then there will be a huge supply of them in mint state.

I noticed the greysheet on these rolls is around 1.25 a roll or so, but they are selling at three times that? What am I missing?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2830 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote from the advert:
"FACT, as the Federal Reserve keeps printing money backed by nothing,
our paper money keeps going down in value
and all coins are becoming more and more valuable!"

does that imply that one dollar no longer equals 100 cents ?

Every so often, I see someone selling coins as "Uncirculated, taken from a mint roll". Sometimes, these coins were minted in the 1950s or 1960s. And I think to myself -
buying the mint roll, at face, from the bank;
the cost of storage; and
waiting for 50 years;
then the return on expenditure and effort doesn't seem very good.

Peter in Oz

Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LastGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget the 2009's are also a one year TYPE set. That alone, IMO will add greatly to their collectibility in the future...
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i am going to buy these as well as the 2009 nickels and dimes... they may not be too rare because of all the collectors buying and saving them, but all well. I like the penny series and want a roll of each. and it wont kill me to hold onto the nickels and dimes either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3253 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its more of a collect-ability thing. I'm sure no one buying these pennies are planning to get rich off of them in the future. they may be worth something because of lower mintage and because they were a 1 year type set like LastGold stated. but I think a lot of us want them for their value in our own coin collections.
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl said "basses" ...you really dont want fish on your coins!
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2011  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimineez to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd leave them in the wrappers, proves that they are untouched, and I like to break open a new roll that hasn't been searched before so it may help you get more $$ down the road
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05