Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wow! Staggering Price For A Lincoln

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,201Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Think the buyer cracked it and put it in their Dansco?
One can only hope.

Just kidding. That is one slab I would never crack. I would never own it, but would never crack if it ever came into my possession.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it was at auction, at least 2 people thought the price was justified. (or one person was messing with with the other as s/he drove the price up)
Pillar of the Community
United States
958 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coppertop5150 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think ms-63 is around 100k if you look at numismedia
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I remember a lot of top-grade US coins were fetching staggering prices a few years back.
I'm more blown away by what the sale price on that one coin could buy in terms of a whole collection.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19337 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Think the buyer cracked it and put it in their Dansco?

OK so now picture this. The buyer does want to put it in something to really keep it perfect since many suspect those slabs are just not air tight. So he puts the slab in a vise, turns the handle to loosen the edges, starts cutting with a Dremel on the edges.
THEN the entire slab burst open, the coin goes flying, he attempts to grab it in the air, misses, it hits the floor, bounces and rolls under the work bench. He bends down to find it, bumps into a hammer on the bench that also falls on top of the coin. That hammer had paint on it and now he lefts the hammer and the coin is not there. It's on the hammer head. Mad he throws the hammer outside and it hits a fence, the coin falls into the dirt with the paint on it.
He never finds it again.
30 years later his house is sold, some people with kids move in, they find that coin, put it on a RR track and .........well you know how this ends.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2011  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Made me cringe just reading the "coin goes flying" part. I really lost it when I got to the end.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1658 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2011  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb8539 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice visual carl! I could barely make it to the end without feeling sick! LOL!
Valued Member
United States
463 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2011  01:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bryan1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People have too much money, IMHO just a waste of money but if you have millions why not right
Pillar of the Community
United States
3497 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2011  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Insert Tom and Jerry into your story Carl and you'd have an instant cartoon classic!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2011  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The buyer is not a collector by true definition. He/She is a "rare coin investor"..... now if you think in that context then the price consideration would be different..... the main consideration become "rate of return" or "appreciation value".
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2541 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2011  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dang!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 2,201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05