Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Buy Gold Coins Rather Than Gold Jewelry?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 21,258Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  09:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sockyee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Why should I purchase gold coins rather than buy gold jewelry? Is one generally worth more than the other?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17022 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight and purity guaranteed with US gold coins. Generally a slight numismatic premium over non-coin gold too.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins always going to go for a least a slight premium at auction. With jewelry you can often find items under melt value that you could take to a gold store and get more then you paid. Just make sure you know the purity i.e. 10, 14, 18, 22 kt it makes a huge difference in terms of melt value.
Valued Member
Poland
114 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Murazor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When buying jewelry you generally pay for gold *and* for the craftsman's work, and the second can contribute a lot. When you are in need and you want to sell it it may appear that the buyer wants to pay for the metal only. Of course you may sometimes find bargains as throwbackid said. Recently I've bought my wife a beautiful gold necklace for only 108% of the gold melt value (what I consider a pretty good investment).
Pillar of the Community
United States
3181 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as another member said, with jewelry your paying a extra premium due to craftsmanship and usually jewelry when you sell you get a lower price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2190 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two reasons. Coins are easier to sell & will sell closer to spot than jewelry will.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
672 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a speculation... When the value of fiat paper money inevitably drops to zero, governments may declare an "economic emergency". This will be justification for them to confiscate real money, such as gold bullion items (common gold coins, bars, rounds). Jewellery would be less likely to be included in a confiscation order.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just make sure you know the purity i.e. 10, 14, 18, 22 kt it makes a huge difference in terms of melt value.

You also have to be careful with fake hallmarks on plated junk
Valued Member
Poland
114 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Murazor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Same with coins... I've seen a gold-plated lead "Krugerrand".
Pillar of the Community
United States
1658 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb8539 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

That's for sure. I help my father all the time in his pawn shop and I see fake/plated junk with hallmarks all the time. The jewelry market is full of counterfeits just as much as the coin market.

Experience and education goes a long way with coins. The same can be said when dealing in jewelry.
Valued Member
Philippines
386 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pandesalapi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basically, the difference between gold jewelry from gold coins is the level of interest. We all know for the fact that precious golds - may it be jewelry or coins always tend to increase in value over time that's why we acquire them as part of investment purposes. But in case of gold coins, a lot of us tend to purchase them because of its numismatic values. These values makes an add-on value on gold coins. Hitting two birds in one stone is the quote I always describe on some post here - It simply means when you buy gold coins, you get the increasing value of its metal content ; you also get the increasing demand by future generations of new coin collectors. Over time, new set of young coin collectors emerges while the supply of old gold coins remain constant, thus the law of supply & demand applies. Increasing value and Increasing Demand goes side by side on your favor over time with these gold coins. So in my own personal view, the level of interest on gold coins is much greater (x2)than gold jewelries.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7245 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2011  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the value of fiat paper money inevitably drops to zero, governments may declare an "economic emergency". This will be justification for them to confiscate real money, such as gold bullion items (common gold coins, bars, rounds). Jewellery would be less likely to be included in a confiscation order.

That's why I like the 2nd Amendment!

Seriously - when FDR made a law outlawing gold, he made a clause that allowed people to keep gold coins deemed to have a numismatic value. This is why I would prefer PM s in coin form rather than bars. I do not think even the current US administration would try to steal (ahem) ... tell people to turn in their coin collections (well... then again...).
The slabbed Half dollar No FG farce: Download No-FG half vs. Grading Company Claims report here:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2011  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sockyee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins have these major advantages:
Weight and fineness are always a known quantity. That makes coins much easier to buy and sell. Numismatic (collector) value is a bonus.
Gold jewelry is harder to evaluate. In buying gold jewelry, you are paying for workmanship, and you are unlikely to get that back when selling and similar outfits give you nothing for workmanship or precious stones that may be part of the piece
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2011  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rarely, jewelry is worth much more than its gold content, and will hold its value.
This applies to pieces made by Cartier, Tiffany, and a few others with top workmanship and gemstones.
Usually, it's all been said before--you pay retail on the gold and any jewels, but upon selling you'll only get offers for the gold content--even diamonds will only get a fraction of their retail price*. Unless someone wants to wear their investment, it's far better to buy coin or bullion.

*Regarding good gemstones: they are like coins. You never pay for "investment grade" stones unless they are certified by a reputable lab. Only the top gemstones have any resale value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2011  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
when FDR made a law outlawing gold, he made a clause that allowed people to keep gold coins deemed to have a numismatic value.

Right. The trick there is who is empowered to do the "deeming"? The government? Hopefully not.

FDRs gold grab was aimed primarily at the banks, where a lot of gold was stored. I don't think that there was ever a case where government agents showed up at a private residence and absconded with privately held gold. What really happened was that the government requested that private citizens turn in their gold for paper money and many did just that. Some people did not. Gold went from about $20.67/oz. to $35/oz., nearly a 70% rise in price soon after the grab. Those who did not trust the government held onto their gold. Now, that is a good lesson for us all.

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
governments may declare an "economic emergency". This will be justification for them to confiscate real money

Other than admitting that gold is the real thing and paper money is worthless, what would confiscation accomplish? What does the gubmint need with gold?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 21,258Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05