Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eisenhower Dollars

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2011  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
StormStrikes,

No need to apologize for a long post. Your last post was very well
put together, and brought your view of very small errors across
very well. As far as being a popular view or not on the situation,
1. I believe all views are valid that is what helps lead us to learn
more about out chosen hobby.
2. If someone is worried about having a popular opinion about
something in the Coin World. They would not collect Eisenhower's
to begin with. You have to have some thick skin to collect Ike's.
It is getting better the last few years, but when I first started
collecting them, This is the one series of coins that brought
out real passion in collectors. They either loved them or
really really hated them and made no bones about questioning
ones sanity for even collecting them.
I think for most people the path that Chuckster and Mach1 suggested is a Very
Good one. Put together a set and enjoy doing that.
After all this is a hobby if we are not enjoying our time doing
it we should not be doing it. It is supposed to be FUN
The reason I have so much fun with all the different varieties
is because my personal way of collecting is more along the
the view that each coin is different and unique upon
it's self. Which is why I have yet to finish my Ike Dansco
It is about 80% complete.
"Filling the holes" has become a challenge for me because
finding Ike's in high grades is much more difficult than I ever
imagined. Due to the coins size and the way they have been
handled over the years.
There are small errors that are to small to list as well as
die varieties that are to small to list. But the more distinct
Die Varieties is what really caught my attention and lit
my fire in hunting them.
Just one example is what is called the 1974 S Proof 40% Silver Micro "S"
It is a 1 Die coin meaning there are only about 10,000 in existence
That in it's self makes it a very rare coin.
Then not to long ago Brian Vaile with the help of world renowned
coin collector and attributer John Wexler, found that the same
Die was used to mint the some of 1974 S Copper Nickel Clad Proofs
thinking that would roughly cut the population in half for both
the copper nickel clad and the 40% Silver proofs.
Eisenhower Dies with the steal they used in the dies back then could
could only stand up to coining about 10,000 proofs before they were
shot and needed replacing.
I was lucky enough to find the 40% one all ready in my collection.
And was extremely lucky enough to find the second known specimen
of the Copper Clad version right after Brian Vailes discovery.
Now that is what excites my passion in coin collecting.
Those kinds of on the leading edge discoveries of rare die varieties.
There is one elderly gentleman I know that collects very messed up and
damaged silver dollars(Peace and Morgan)he takes them home and
he enjoys making them "shiny again" as he would say.
By any means necessary, Grinder, Buffing wheel, what ever.
That is what he enjoys , It is all good.
as well as filling holes in Dansco's
of older series coins Barbers, Walking liberty halfs.
Which by the way he does know not to clean them.
There are as many different ways to collect as there are collectors
The hardest part I think is finding the way to collect that
really keeps it exciting for ones self.

If we are not having fun, Why do it ?, after all it is a hobby
let it take you where ever you enjoy going.

P.S.

No one is more guilty of long posts than me

Edited by stewart
05/08/2011 11:52 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3988 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2011  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terry:

Whew!- I had to stop and catch my breath at least 3 times reading your post!

Seriously, , very well said,

Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2011  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you are one of those that like collecting by variety and like Morgans and Peace dollars then VAM's are just for you, they will either make you very very happy or drive you mad. I should give a little advice though, you may want to pick a date instead of trying to collect all different varieties because there are over 200 VAM's for 1878-P alone and its a list that just keeps growing. So VAM's is a life long accomplishment that is why most people either chose the ones from a specific date or MM or a specific list like the TOP-100, Hot-50, or Hit List-40
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2011  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No one is more guilty of long posts than me

I probably miss out on a lot of stuff since when I see long posts, I just skip over them. I did read your last sentence though.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the replies so far, and stewart thank you for your insight as well.

Im very much a goal oriented person. I tend to be analytical, perfectionist, detailed and if you ask my wife I'm sure she could add a few choice things, LOL

With that in mind, and with so many VAMs and it being an expanding list (meaning, unlikely I would ever reach a goal of collecting them all) it would not work well for me. Knowing, however, that I could collect all the years, all the major varieties such as Type I and Type II would be a better goal for me. I would get frustrated being within arms length of having all variety of VAMs (hypothetically) and then find out they added a few dozen more, that just would not work well with me and my general approach to things.

I just dont think I would get that much enjoyment out of collecting chasing after that many varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1126 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stewart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
StormStrike,

Very Cool, and to our little corner of the world.
It is a blast

I think most of our wives have some rather colorful names for us when
addressing our chosen hobby.

Thankfully mine actually likes collecting and has a small collection
herself. She likes the foreign coins more because she likes the animals
and flowers on them. So I keep my eyes out for them all the time for her.

Terry
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife doesn't collect, but she is very interested in the what I do collect in the way of coins. She loves to see them, the designs and all and how things have changed through the years. She is supportive of my coin collecting and doesn't say much about what I spend unless I just get stupid with it. I cant complain too much.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I aggree. If it is interesting to you, collect it. We are mostly all doing it for fun, anyway. IF not, then that is fine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2011  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative thread, I love the IKEGROUP(())... It's nice to hear from other Ike collectors, as they seem to be few and far between, but that's another part of the excitement...
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually like the larger dollar coins like the Morgan, Peach, Ike and the Silver Eagle. Granted, the Ikes are not the most artistic on the obverse but I think the larger sizes of said coins make them look less busy, theres more field, a little less clutter and allows the details to stand out a bit more. I also very much like the satin look of the coins that are not proof struck. The proofs are nice and all and the good ones offer sharp contrast between things but there is so much contrast there that I think you get caught up more in the contrast than the overall design and beauty of the coin. My Peace dollars (the few I have) are all AU/BU types and have that 'satin' look to them and I love them. You look at the coin as a whole rather than the striking difference between the field and the design as in the case of proofs.

I like the SBA's but they are much smaller and seem more 'busy' than do the larger coins. The Sacajawea dollars are better simply because they are not quite as busy.

The Presidential dollars I have not yet started a collection on but the few I've seen almost look fake on the obverse. In fact the first one I saw I thought was some kind of arcade token. I like the reverse much better.

But I think large coins like the Ike's will always appeal to me just because they seem to flow well for the most part. I wish I had more Morgans and Peace dollars though.
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just purchased several Eisenhower dollar coins to finish out my collection there.
Congratulations!

Quote:
How can you ever possibly have a complete collection of anything with so many potential variances?
A complete collection is whatever you want it to be.

For me, my original Eisenhower dollar collection is complete with the 32 coins accounted for in the Dansco album (plus four extras to fill out all 36 holes). I have recently taken an interest in the different varieties listed by the Ike Group and may eventually build a variety collection, but I will always consider that original album done.

But that is just me. To each their own.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3516 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am filling an Ike proof Dansco and also trying to put together a run from Morgans on. Obviously that part is going to take longer than the Ike book. All of the books I am doing right now are proof so the non proofs in the book are all BU. Thats how I am collecting them. As has been said, how each person collects is their own thing.

As for the varieties, I kind of agree with Storm. The VAM thing has gotten a bit out of hand IMO. I stare and stare at high def pics that are 10 times magnification and still I dont see half of what they are talking about. Alligator eyes, doubling on cotton boles and tobacco leaves...OK, if you see it, more power to you. LOL The Hot Lips is cool though, and my wife picked one up.

Thanks for the link to the Ike group though. I will be perusing the site. Ikes were the first large dollar I remember handling and they hold a special place with me. I will go after some of the varieties, but I cant imagine I will be trying for all of them. I say that now....
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats me, I say that now. I'll decide on a certain aspect or goal or something like that and then I find I'm not content with just that, I must go on, do more, LOL. With the Ike's though, for now at least, I'll stick with the major varieties and if somewhere down the road my collection becomes so huge and vast that I have to find new challenges then I may come back to the VAM's and such. I've got enough work in store for me just getting caught up with the Statehood Quarters and the new dollar coins, silver eagles and so on.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2011  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm reading this thread and trying to stifle the chuckles. So many truisms!

I was not a variety collector four years ago when I happened upon this site. I was your typical "general collector" with equal holdings in Lincoln Wheat cents, Mercury dimes, Buffalo and Jefferson nickels, etc., plus a few Morgan/Peace silver dollars. I had just started acquiring some nice Seated coins, but the costs were getting prohibitive and the availability of nicer pieces was very limited. For the most part I had "lost the passion" with the drivel coming out of the mint and half-billion mintages of circulating pieces.

Then someone here mentioned " VAM". I had seen this terminology in EBay listings for Morgan and Peace dollars but never bothered to find out what it meant. Well, then my curiosity was tweaked and I visited VAMWorld and perused the listings and discussion area. Let me get this right ... there are Morgan and Peace dollars out there for a small amount over silver spot prices that folks are paying thousands of dollars for? "Sign Me Up!"

That was my motivation to get started in it. The road was long and arduous, but the journey has been both rewarding and interesting. I have found and sold some extremely rare varieties for 1000% profit, but those sales were just to keep me in the game, and the wife off my back. My greatest reward is a renewed passion and some focus. I've also learned a lot of history about the minting process and met some of the nicest folks around. That's why vamming is floating my boat.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05