Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need A Little Help With Eisenhower Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  08:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a little bit confused about which years of the Eisenhower dollars are 40% silver. I thought all of the 1971 through 1974 S mint coins were 40%. Looking in the RedBook it seems they also made copper-nickel 1973 & 1974 S mints. Is there an easy & realiable method for telling the difference between the 40% & copper-nickel?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2787 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
40% silver Ikes were only produced in proof. The 71-S and 72-S were 40% silver. The 73-S and 74-S proofs were offered in either 40% silver or nickel clad. If still in the holder, the blue slabs are nickel clad and the browns are 40% silver. Out of the holder the copper core is very evident in the nickel clads and not so much in the 40%.
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  10:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In addition to what SeatedNut said, there were also clad proofs produced for the 1976-S dollars, I believe for both Type I and Type II - in 1977 and 1978 I believe that the clad proofs were the only ones produced.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ike dollars were not in the 1971 and 1972 Proof Sets but 1973 and 1974 included a CuNi Ike dollar. 1971S-1974S 40% Ikes were sold individually in two versions. Uncirculated Ikes had blue packaging while Proof Ikes had brown packaging, hence the Brown Ike and Blue Ike nomenclature you might have heard of before. In 1976 had three S-mint Ikes- the normal CuNi clad Ike in the regular 6 coin Proof Set, an Uncirculated 40% silver Ike was included in the 3 coin Bicentennial Mint Set and a Proof 40% silver Ike was included in the 3 coin Bicentennial Proof Set.
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  11:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
40% silver Ikes were only produced in proof.
That is incorrect. There are both proof and uncirculated 40% Silver Eisenhower dollars for the years they were issued (1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976).

Quote:
If still in the holder, the blue slabs are nickel clad and the browns are 40% silver.
This is partially correct. The brown boxes are 40% silver proofs, the blue packs are 40% silver uncirculated. The Cu-Ni clad proofs were always issued as a part of the annual proof set in from 1973 to 1978.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it amazing all the confusion over the 40% silver Ikes. This question gets asked over and over. Once again here we go

ALL business strike S mint coins are silver. (exception: there is a unique 1973-S business strike known on a CUNI clad planchet.)

ALL 1971-S and 1972-S Ikes are silver

ALL 1976-S Type II, 1977-S and 1978-S Ikes are coppernickel

ALL P and D business strikes are CuNi clad (Exception: there are about a half dozen known 1974-D and 1977-D Ikes struck on 40% silver)

So this means the only ones that come both as silver and CuNi are the proof 73-S, 74-S, and 76-S type I Ikes. If these are not in the government holders, they can easily be told apart using the tissue test. Put a single layer of toilet tissue or facial tissue over the coin. If it is CuNi it will appear dark. If it is silver it will appear white.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info I think I've got it now. I guess I should have searched the archives but didn't think about it.
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2011  4:17 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Condor, you forgot one. There also were 4 1976 silver proofs struck without mintmarks.

See towards the bottom of this http://www.PCGS.com/articles/articl...iverseid=313
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a problem with the three of those with Type I reverse because some refences have said they are silver and some have said they are clad so I don't know what they are. The unique piece with the Type II brings up the question "Where did this come from and why?" With a Type II reverse it wasn't struck until 1976. There would be no need for a display coin to be struck by that late date, they could have just used one of the millions of already struck coins. One possibility for the missing mint mark would be that it was simply accidentally left off a die sent to San Francisco like the other known missing mintmark proof coins. But then there is the problem of the type II reverse. Those weren't used for proofs until 1976 and all the silver striking was over with earlier in 1975. I think it is pushing credibility to believe that an error obv was sent to San Francisco in 1976, got paired up with a Type II reverse, and then just happened to be used for one one and that happened to be on a leftover silver planchet from the previous year. If it was struck in Philadelphia, where did the silver blank come from? This is a coin that has no reason to exist. It strikes me as being an after hours fantasy piece.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2579 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2011  1:38 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its possible that it was a pattern that escaped into circulation or the like, I really would like to know what happened to the two extant type 1 pieces. I'm sure they would sell for a pretty penny if found. The Ford specimen is likely just lying in a closet somewhere.
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2011  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see it being a pattern if it was clad, showing the new reverse. But not 40% silver. The silver pieces had already been struck so this design would not be struck in silver. Why make a silver pattern for a coin to be struck in clad? Especially since Philadelpia would have had to have had a silver planchet shipped to them from San Francisco to make it.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05