Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins Of India - Gujarat Sultanate Coins-Personal Catalogue

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13558 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2016  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar, I have a bit of a wacky, off-topic question for you. Over in the ancients section of CCF, we have been steadily counting backwards from the year 1600 by decades (i.e. posting a coin definitively minted in each decade). We are now stuck at the decade of 700 to 709 AD and are seemingly running out of options. You don't know of any coins of India that can be attributed to then do you? Thanks for your input!

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...5985#2329365
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2016  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar

Thanks for the suggestions to seek out the books "The coins of the Indian Sultanates" by Goron & Goenka and Dilip Rajgor's "Standard catalogue of the Sultanate coins of India" published by Amrapali Publications, Pune. These will get me through the medieval period. Do you have good recommendations for the periods after that? During the East India Company/British Colonial periods through the early 1900s?

Thanks Much!
Pillar of the Community
India
1857 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2016  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For coins of the British Colonial period and upto 1947, "Standard Catalogue of South Asian Coins and Paper money" published by Krause Publications is a comprehensive work. In that you get a good presentation of the Princely state coins of India as well.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2016  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar

Thanks for the recommendation of the Krause publication "Standard Catalogue of South Asian Coins and Paper Money." I will add that to my book search.

I suppose there is a period between the Sultanates and colonial period when the Mughals were present? Is there a good guide you could recommend for the Mughal period as well?

Thanks for all of your help!
- Blake
Pillar of the Community
India
1857 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2016  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@wertsdb:
There is no single comprehensive book on Mughal coins. The Krause Publications book has a good lot of pictures of Mughal coins. "Coins of the Mughal Emperors" by Nelson Wright, "Catalogue of Mughal coins in the state museum Lukhnow" by CR Singhal and "Copper coins of India Parts I&II" by WH Valentine are some of the good works you can use.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2016  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Much appreciated!
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2016  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar

When you suggested the title "Coins of the Mughal Emperors" by Nelson Wright, is that the same book as "Catalogue of the Coins in the Indian Museum Calcutta - Mughal Emperors of India" by Henry Nelson Wright? Or are these two different works?

This one here?
(Offsite URL shortening not allowed-2016-12-10)/6v8fSj7
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2016  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2016  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar

When you suggested the title "Coins of the Mughal Emperors" by Nelson Wright, is that the same book as "Catalogue of the Coins in the Indian Museum Calcutta - Mughal Emperors of India" by Henry Nelson Wright? Or are these two different works?

This one here?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7YG5B...J1syb9QVXV4K
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2016  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just wanted to post this link for those that are following this thread and are interested in adding a copy of Dilip Rajgor's "Standard Catalogue of Sultanate Coins of India" to their library:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30126800224...RK:MEBIDX:IT

This seemed to be a pretty good price for this one, especially with shipping included in the USA.
Pillar of the Community
India
1857 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2016  02:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ @wertsdb:
The book I suggested is different. It is not catalogue of Indian coins in Indian Museum Lukhnow is another work.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2016  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wertsdb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thank you drnsreedhar for the clarification.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2018  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KaraM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@drnsreedhar

I believe I have a coin similar to the ones you're displaying would you mind helping me identify it?
Edited by KaraM
08/02/2018 8:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
India
1857 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2018  02:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add drnsreedhar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ KaraM:)
Please post pictures of both the sides.
Learn More...
United States
78469 Posts
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05