Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882 H Hub Tripled

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 132 / Views: 17,571Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find Sammeli!

I agree with okiecoiner about the grade and appearance.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2021  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dan-in-crystal-lake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye and nice catch! I like it.
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2021  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So if it's a detailed coin should I try to remove the pvc damage or will I make it worse. What product should I try to remove it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not knowing what is on the coin, I would maybe try soaking in acetone to see if it comes off. If that doesn't work, I would just leave it as is. It's still a nice coin even with the discoloration.

It's hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since Zonad first reported this 1882-H triple.

It looks like on average around 1 more each year is reported in the CCF thread.

Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Phill310 I will try it. I guess pure acitone only ?
Valued Member
Canada
72 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2021  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fefimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes pure acetone from a hardware or paint store. Nice find.
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My attempt to remove pvc contamination that you can see from previous post. How did I do?

Hope I've done a good job or have I just ruined it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3416 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did a wonderful job, but there was lots of damage before you worked on it. If you have a few lower-grade Vickies, I suggest that you practice on one to see if some toner or treatment can turn the lighter areas that weren't affected by the green. The coin that you worked on is just dark where the green was. It is still a "details" coin, but a very scarce one. You didn't ruin it ... you greatly improved the shape of it. You should feel good.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks very good to me. The photo is not the greatest, but you might get this through ICCS without a comment. It is hard to make out whether the surfaces are pitted or not. It might benefit from a little handling to soften the appearance a little.
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sammeli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only soaked it in acitone for 20 minutes I'm going to soak it overbite and see what happens. There is no pitting on the coin
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1647 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2021  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would leave it as is. Once the residue is gone, then there is no point in doing more. You might try to remove the gunk above the O in One with a pointy round toothpick or, if you happen to have the right trees handy, a thorn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
858 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2021  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks much better. I agree with Smallcentguy. I would leave it as is.
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 132 / Views: 17,571Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05