Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Jefferson Nickel - No Mintmark

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 8,837Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  4:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add riggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a 1944 Jefferson nickel with no mint mark on it like the rest of the War Nickels. Can't find a listing on it anywhere.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Henning Nickel. He made counterfiets in Camden Mew Jersey. None of his War Nickels have mintmarks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1204 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ricardocody to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouchh!......
You just got your self a genuine fake henning , Still looking for one myself !
Congratulations How did you get or find ?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was the War Nickels he made which ultimately caused him to get caught. He didn't add the mint mark above the dome of Monticello.

Ed
ANA LM-3175
Pillar of the Community
United States
4132 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HENNING! Killer find! I want one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
609 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hambone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone got a link to like he history behind these nickels? I heard of them before, just didn't really care. Now I do
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool find!
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Pillar of the Community
United States
1506 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
where did you get that?------

@ Hambone

"Henning" nickels are one of the strangest counterfeit US coins. In 1954 a New Jersey man named Francis L. Henning produced half a million counterfeit US nickels.

That in itself was bizarre because the cost of faking such a low-denomination coin would eat up most of the "profit" that could be made by passing them, and in addition spending that many nickels would be sure to attract attention.

But Henning made yet another mistake because many of his coins mated the reverse of a standard nickel with the obverse of a 1944 " War Nickel". Genuine 1944 nickels are instantly recognizable because they're made of a silver alloy and have a large mint mark over the dome of Monticello, but Henning's had neither.

Despite the obvious fakery Henning somehow managed to put about 100,000 of his coins into circulation before being found out. The rest were dumped into rivers and streams, and only a small fraction were ever recovered.

Henning nickels have become famous fakes akin to the "racketeer nickels" that were made by plating 1883 5ยข pieces and passing them as $5 gold coins, and both are now collected in their own right despite being counterfeits.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_t...xzz1Xxon3O00
Edited by Coinstar
09/14/2011 5:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5640 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just search "Henning" on CCF. There have been good informative posts that are well worth a read.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice find! hang on to that (or sell it for good money!). They are hard to come by!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1328 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man! I've been trying to find, buy, beg or steal one of those for years. Color me jealous.
Currently working on:
Australia type set
Canada type set
Three from each country (up to 416!)
UK 20th and 21st century
IHC's! NGC certified MS-62 or better, Capital Plastics Fine or better, Dansco Fine or better, Dansco any x3, and Coin Board for wall display, any grade. (I may be a tad obsessed)
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add googoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am still looking for one of those myself
I have yet to search the other dates for henning nickels, but I know I dont have the 1944 henning yet
Great find
Valued Member
United States
268 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice coin
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rare case when a bad coin is good. Nice find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3345 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2011  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rachums107 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! Wish I could find one of those...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 8,837Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05