| Author |
Replies: 10 / Views: 423 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3569 Posts |
I've spoken many times about my dads and my trips to local coin shows over the years. He passed away in 2020 and it's taken me nearly six years to bring myself to curating his collection into mine. Of course being very careful to identify his coins from mine. I've been working on it for weeks now and it puts such a smile on my face when I come across a coin he picked up at one of those shows. This is one example that I came across today. I miss my dad terribly but moments like today brings me a lot closer to him. He would have celebrated his 94th birthday yesterday and I so wish we could have been at a show like we used to do around his birthday.  Edited by srs77 09/29/2026 9:01 pm
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19602 Posts |
Excellent piece! Oozes character!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1361 Posts |
Great post. I took my 87 year old father to a coin show last year. He was like a kid in a candy store. I was with him when he completed his Indian Head cent set, with a 1877 & another time his 1893-S Morgan silver dollar. I have many of memories of my humble beginings as a collector, with my grandma. She'd stop at the bank on Friday, and bring home penny rolls in the mid 70's. Surprisingly, we never really scored many, but the memories......
Edited by thecoinguy1964 09/30/2026 09:54 am
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196100 Posts |
Outstanding! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts |
"In Rememberance There is Life." Sounds like the memories are alive, vivid and fresh. Thank you for sharing.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
3569 Posts |
Thanks everyone, I miss my dad more than I can say, but this hobby reminds me of him every day. Thanks for sharing your memories thecoinguy1964. Eerily similar to mine. My dad could never afford the coins you mentioned, but like your father, I never saw my dad so excited than when we'd go to a show. He'd come home with a small handful of pieces and would drag his books out to research them. Pure joy is how I'd describe him in those moments and that's the greatest treasure I've ever received in this hobby.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1361 Posts |
srs77, my father's collection was very small & paltry in his early years. Most, if not all of his coins, were pulled out of circulation. It wasn't until late in life, that he splurged on the keys. I remember the first time I saw his coin collection, about 1970, I would of been 6 years old. It was the neatest, coolest thing I'd ever seen. He kept it in a safety deposit box. His Standing Liberty quarters & Buffalo nickels had many acid dates. His Wheat pennies were all very circulated, like the rest of his other book sets. One day these will be mine, but I'm not ready for that day.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79308 Posts |
I'm sorry to hear about your father passing away.   That's a pretty nice coin that used to be your father's. 
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
107525 Posts |
wow srs, I'm real sorry to hear about your father  But it is also nice that you can have fond memories of him through his coins.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
3569 Posts |
Thanks Dearborn and errers.
Edited by srs77 Today 12H 56M ago
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2394 Posts |
Quote: I've been working on it for weeks now and it puts such a smile on my face when I come across a coin he picked up at one of those shows. OMG Sir! You just described my childhood! The best part...my Mother was also an avid collector...she had a keen eye and got whatever she wanted...my Dad I think was just along for the ride...but, eventually he got into it. Great memories! smat
|
| |
Replies: 10 / Views: 423 |
|