| Author |
Replies: 15 / Views: 2,305 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts |
Sorry of this has already been asked. Looking for the best guide on Canadian coins that is the equivalent to the Red Book
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
2754 Posts |
I use ..........First published in 1952 the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Coins has reported on all aspects of the Canadian numismatic scene, from the coinage of the French Regime to the business strikes of today. For more than 65 years Charlton has been the bible for collectors.
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
417 Posts |
Thank you. Does the new addition cover Gold coins above the George V ?
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
21914 Posts |
Quote: Does the new addition cover Gold coins above the George V ? For that you will need Volume II which covers Collector and Maple Leaf coins and sets. Volume I is mainly for business strikes. A reminder is that the price based on the market value for Canadian Certified Coins.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5656 Posts |
There is also the Whitman Canadian Coins Guide by Haxby. It is an excellent book that includes Provincial Tokens, Sets, Bullion (Palladium, Gold, Silver, etc), as well as a nice section on Errors and Varieties. But it's not published every year, but all coins that circulated, plus RCM special issues and sets. ANY of the guides have prices that are full full rfetail, with prices at least 30% too generous. If you want prices, you need to go to ebay "sold" prices or the section of Coins and Canada that deals with auction & ebay prices.
|
|
Valued Member
Canada
289 Posts |
Canadian Coin News publishes regularly with trends pricing and is used by some dealers. I subscribe to it myself. Unfortunately you need a subscription to pick it up regularly, although I suppose it's possible to find it at newsstands somewhere? Prices there are also "trends" pricing and tend to be inflated by 20-30% on most, but not all, items. I tend to use a combination of all of the above to form an opinion on an actual price I should pay on something, as well as talking to dealers I trust. I would say there is no one definitive guide published that is 100% accurate, they all have pros and cons.
edit: forgot to note that they don't publish bullion prices for maple leaves or anything like that. Mostly just info on older circulation strikes with an occasional update on PL or modern.
Edited by Levaril 05/12/2021 10:57 am
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10065 Posts |
BTW - checking ebay SOLD items for a specific coin is a good way to get an idea of what people are paying at present. Just know that condition is everything so when looking at slabbed coins, the higher the grade, the more people pay.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash? Download and read: Grading the graders Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halveshttps://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5293 Posts |
Charlton is excellent for everything except the current retail prices.
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
417 Posts |
Thank you everyone. I ordered the new Charlton guide and will use it along with ebay.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1505 Posts |
Im surprised no one mentioned http://www.coinsandcanada.com it will give you a version of the inflated prices (charelton/trends/etc...) and summarize recent ebay sales. Kind of the best of both worlds, plus it free. That being said, I have both Charelton and Haxby as well to fill in some gaps.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1984 Posts |
I think you will find that most Canadian gold coins post-George V will trade more or less at bullion value unless they are grade rarities.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2495 Posts |
Regardless of what price list you use, don't forget the all important point of reducing that price by 50%.
Then you'll get the true value of most Canadian coins in this sadly depressed market.
|
|
New Member
United States
2 Posts |
Is there a yearly updated price guide, similar to the Red Book, that will give current values on Canadian coins, including mint sets, Maple Leaf, and circulating coins? I looked at 'The 2026 Charlton Coin Guide' but can not tell which coins are covered in that guide.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Canada
5656 Posts |
Just read some of the suggestions above, but going to the ebay "sold" info will give you a very good idea, but sometimes the grades are very generous. And remember that the publication of a book will be at least a year before prices are compiled to be published. With the semi-recent inflations of gold and silver, you need to get the most recent "take" on what they are worth and ebay "solds" is the best place, but remember that most "solds" on ebay and auctions were sold at a profit.
|
|
New Member
United States
2 Posts |
OK. Thanks. So it seems like there is not something similar to the Red Book that can be used. I will check e-bay to see if anything there matches what I looking for. Anyone have or familiar with 'The 2026 Charlton Coin Guide?' I cannot tell which coins are covered in that guide?
|
|
New Member
Canada
29 Posts |
The various Charlton Standard Catalogues are best for basic information. I use to purchase a new guide (Volume 1) every 5-10 years. My most recent was 2020. I doubt I will purchase another. The rule of thumb I used was to shift prices left (or grade right) one column to ascertain a realistic price. In the not tooo distant future, these guides will likely only be available in digital format due to demographics (old boomers prefer books), which leads me to why prices are depressed. Low demand, massive supply.
In the last 5 -10 I've noticed a significant increase in numismatic and notaphily items being offered for sale. This is almost certainly because boomer collectors have passed away (estate sales) or are preparing affairs so their inheritors, who are not interested in the hobby, don't have to deal with the hassle of selling a collection. I'm in this category, being a young boomer. It's not just numismatics BTW, it's many collectibles and other assets, like real estate. Even with government created inflation, real estate prices in Canada and the US will fall in the next 10 -15 years. That is an unavoidable outcome that awaits the economy, all due to demographics. Family formation by young people is delayed or not happening at a "normal' level due to economic pressures that have built up over the past 10-15 years at least - so the government must resort to immigration to keep the growth game going. Negative demographics will hurt the hobby significantly. The geopolitical and economic mess that been created by very poor "Western" government policies hasn't helped things either. I'm just stating a fact not fomenting political debate that is against forum rules. That is why I have been trying to instill some interest, by using technology, to hopefully attract younger people. The increased availability of coins for sale on-line has provided me with the necessary sample sizes to create Substack articles for numismatics items that IMO should be prioritized. I'm not sure it'll be successful. I only began publishing the research I've conducted for many years, about 9 months ago. The response so far has been mixed but I'll give it a couple years. Worse case, the research resides online for anyone not born yet to read one day.
Edited by rjd1402 Today 1M ago
|
| |
Replies: 15 / Views: 2,305 |
|