Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Not Everything On E**y Is A Deal.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,133Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Masis's Avatar
United Kingdom
946 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2013  6:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I bought Sear's "GREEK IMPERIAL COINS AND THEIR VALUES" two days ago.
First port of call was e**y uk.
The only one up for sale was from a seller whose name begins with an a and ends with a z. The price still is £44.
I decided to "shop around" and went to a****n uk.
The same book was for sale, from five different vendors.
The cheapest on offer was at £31.

By the same seller as on e**y uk.

Since on e**y they had a "or Best Offer" I gave an offer of £31.

The offer was immediately declined.

So I bought it from them for £31 via a****n uk.

I guess on e**y uk they must think that they have a monopoly on the sale of Numismatic books and can charge what they like, whilst on a****n uk they know there is competition and must be competitive.
Pillar of the Community
bobbyhelmet's Avatar
United Kingdom
2838 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2013  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its certainly easier to spot the better deals on Amazon, tends to promote a 'race to the bottom' price wise.

I got very lucky a couple of weeks ago on the bay though. Picked up a brand new RIC 4 (3 volume 2004 reprint) for £23.70 + 99p postage.

The add was poor and I fully expected something to be wrong (it not being the 3 volume one etc) when it arrived but it was fine, exactly what I wanted. On Amazon it ranges from £50-£127, bookdepository about £55.

The seller still had 7 copies so was considering buying the lot but when I looked yesterday he had put his price up to £95.25, guess it was a mistake and I just got lucky
Pillar of the Community
Masis's Avatar
United Kingdom
946 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2013  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Masis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done Bobby!
I hope to progress to RIC eventually.
Pillar of the Community
United States
549 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2013  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add augustus1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could have bought one from my site for $37, but I only ship to the US.
Pillar of the Community
Bacchus2's Avatar
United Kingdom
2933 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amazon is funny - I bought 6 RIC IV's for £15 each about 6 or 7 years ago. Kept one and sold the rest for quite a good profit. There must be a huge store of the things somewhere and every so often they have a clear out. I also bought 4 of Mitchiners "World of Islam" for £30 - and they retail at £125 (sold 3 of those too :) ) Patience is key.
Pillar of the Community
bobbyhelmet's Avatar
United Kingdom
2838 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2013  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought 6 RIC IV's for £15 each about 6 or 7 years ago. Kept one and sold the rest for quite a good profit.

I bet you did - that was exactly my thinking when I went back to the seller only to discover he had put his price up by £70
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 1,133Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Forums