Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes.








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1848 Large Cent Die Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 890Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  10:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I did not bid on this coin because I just got Grellmans book tonight and was not sure about this coin. It looks like it could be an N-42 based on the vertical lines by the letter T on cent on reverse. If it is a N-42 I should have bid on it. R-6 Here is the coin. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me can confirm. One thing that might disqualify it from that is it might have a repunched 8 in date. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1848-Braide...047675.l2557
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on some very_peripheral research, I'm seeing N-40 (same reverse). The serifs/crossbar on the 4 are telltale.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my book shows N-40 has a repunched 1 with extension of upright below. I do not see that on the picture. Also those vertical lines on reverse are different in my pic of reverse.
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
my book shows N-40 has a repunched 1 with extension of upright below. I do not see that on the picture. Also those vertical lines on reverse are different in my pic of reverse.


Like I said, my research was tentative and if anything I looked at on Heritage was misattributed, I'm wrong. Have a look at the two (huge) sets of images of those varieties presented here:

http://www.early-copper.com/1848.html

With those both on my monitor for side-by-side comparison, the only bothersome factor is the overdate you mention. Otherwise, the "heaviness" of the N-40 date punch compares quite favorably with the ebay coin - the serifs are noticeably thicker. Not really sure what to think about it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2014  11:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the lines in the N-42 coin on the Large Cent site look different than the ones on the coin I submitted. This attributting stuff can be tricky!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2014  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not sure if I am seeing all digits of date repunched but could it be an N-3?
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 890Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Forums