Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Charles I 1625 Tower Mint Shilling

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,674Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
flippy's Avatar
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2015  08:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hi I am interested in purchasing this Charles I 1625 tower mint shilling. It looks ok to me but I was wondering what you think and what the approximate value would be?

Sorry about the images, they were what the seller provided.


Charles-I-1625-Tower-Mint-Shilling

Charles-I-1625-Tower-Mint-Shilling
Edited by flippy
04/22/2015 08:17 am
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2015  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thirty Pounds would be a good price to pay in this condition.
I paid AU$100 (now converts to GBP 52) for mine in VF condition, but that was more than 20 years ago.
Pillar of the Community
flippy's Avatar
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2015  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sel_691, I would have thought it may be worth more, the cheapest one I have found sold for $70 but it was in very poor condition with scratches.
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2015  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was quoting a bit low so that you may be able to obtain one at a good price.
It seems that I quoted too low!
Tony Clayton quotes Tower Mint shillings at GBP 150 (updated 2015 prices), in Fine condition. That would be a full market price, so I guess that you may be able to obtain one for less than that.
The revision in my brain now suggests that around AU$200 may be OK. That is my revised 'gut' feeling.
Pillar of the Community
flippy's Avatar
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2015  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$200 sounds fair to me and is within my price range. Thanks for your help.
Bedrock of the Community
NumisRob's Avatar
United Kingdom
18876 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2015  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me - these coins were notoriously weakly struck and they stayed in circulation for ages so many got worn to death. Not to mention that the portrait on King Charles I coins was often scratched through by his opponents during the Civil War...
Pillar of the Community
Tom Goodheart's Avatar
United Kingdom
856 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2015  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I wouldn't go more than $120 (£60) Though I have this coin listed as having first come up for sale at that price in 2006, so maybe $200 isn't too bad!

These early shillings are not that scarce and you should be able to find better. I would hold out and be prepared to pay a bit more. However it depends on budget and better might require closer to $300...

Also, did you particularly want this bust/mint mark? If you're just after a decent shilling of Charles I there may be others within budget in better grade?

.
Edited by Tom Goodheart
04/23/2015 06:59 am
Pillar of the Community
flippy's Avatar
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2015  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tom, do you have any suggestions where I can find one. The places I have looked, either don't have them or want $300-$500
Bedrock of the Community
sel_69l's Avatar
Australia
21792 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2015  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Currently, AU$200 = about U.S.$155.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,674Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Forums