Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsCoin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Improper Plating On Zinc Cents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,249Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
SilverStackerKid's Avatar
United States
6478 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2015  9:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
There are areas around the outside devices where the copper has pealed back. Is this PSD?


Improper-Plating-On-Zinc-Cents?

Improper-Plating-On-Zinc-Cents?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
ChildOfTheWheat's Avatar
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2015  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm... isn't this called split plate doubling?
Edited by ChildOfTheWheat
07/26/2015 9:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
SilverStackerKid's Avatar
United States
6478 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2015  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused about the lack of plating around the bust.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
ChildOfTheWheat's Avatar
United States
5828 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2015  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChildOfTheWheat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I realized that after I posted. At first I thought you were talking about the lack of plating to the left of the letters in Liberty
Pillar of the Community
SilverStackerKid's Avatar
United States
6478 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2015  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see now.
Pillar of the Community
SilverStackerKid's Avatar
United States
6478 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2015  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any ideas?
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2015  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't smoke, but I wonder if someone used a lighter to burn the coin? Coin will get hot though.
Pillar of the Community
SilverStackerKid's Avatar
United States
6478 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2015  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the copper expanded? I don't know. I just think it is weird that the copper also split in other areas around the devices.
Bedrock of the Community
coop's Avatar
United States
62064 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2015  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to Mike Diamond's site about partial plating:
http://www.error-ref.com/?s=partial+plating
Pillar of the Community
CoinHuntingDrew's Avatar
United States
4932 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2015  04:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's very possible this is one of the exact cents I found at the beginning of the year, but I doubt it. I opened about $25 worth of CWR that were probably stored for many years. All the coins dated pre-1993, and had this wild zinc look to them. I'll post them on this thread or a different one.

I think it's just from the air that has gotten in over time.
Pillar of the Community
CoinHuntingDrew's Avatar
United States
4932 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2015  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saved several of them and I think I put one in a 2x2 to preserve it just because I thought it was unique.

I later dumped them at a bank, so it's very possible they recirculated, someone got it in change, and then flew out to california LOL...
Pillar of the Community
Cascade's Avatar
United States
7390 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2015  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln looks like he has a beard of bees on the 91
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,249Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Forums