|
This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!
To participate in the forum you must log in or register. | Author |
Replies: 7 / Views: 1,778 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts |
Hello, I collect US (classic) and some world coins, mostly crown-type silver. I have been reading this forum lately. I would like to buy a lot, perhaps 50 or so uncleaned Roman coins and try my hand at cleaning and conservation. There's great info about those topics here, but now I need the coins. I don't expect to find anything valuable. That's not my intention. Before my current job as a teacher, I was trained as an archaeologist and did some work in Europe. So, I am more interested in the historical significance and cleaning/ conservation process itself. I am also familiar with the pitfalls of shopping on a site like ebay. I was wondering if anyone had advice on where to buy unleaned lots of 25-100 Roman coins. I live in California (Southern- IE). I did see a link to Vcoins already. Any specific dealers there? Thank you
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2624 Posts |
I was very enthusiastic to try this also... so I bought a lot off ebay... There was one coin there that showed some potential (an Alex III bronze, with club and quiver) but despite me only using distilled water the patina was stripped away. The explanation was it was an over cleaned coin, caked in some mud and introduced to the lot. The other 19 coins yielded perhaps 6 identifiable coins...none of which was worthy of making it to my collection. The only really fun discovery was how helpful the people in the Ancients section are when it comes to attribution and identification. As far as I know the Vcoins dealers don't really trade in uncleaned lots. Which means braving the wild west that is ebay. Hopefully someone more experienced in this field might be able to recommend a seller to you. Do let us know how you get on, it is an interesting process and something I would recommend to all ancient collectors, but after having tried it I don't really think it is for me.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6130 Posts |
What are you hoping to find? I think that is the most important question. I have bought a handful of unidentified lots and one uncleaned lot off of ebay in the past couple months. The unidentified lots have coughed up a lot of very fun coins, and have all been at least a decent deal overall. The uncleaned lot had a couple gems, a couple that could stand to be cleaned, and some garbage. ebay is safe from my experience, but you should go for the small lots with *all* coins visible and clearly photographed. The lots that are listed as a pile of coins have generally been sorted, then carefully arranged with the 5-10 best coins on top and the cracked, broken coins on the bottom. There is extremely little variety in most lots on ebay that go for reasonable prices. Most are all common, tiny bronze coins of Constantine, his dynasty, and a few of the later emperors.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts |
Quote: I was trained as an archaeologist and did some work in Europe. So, I am more interested in the historical significance and cleaning/ conservation process itself.
Having that kind of background myself, I resonate. That said, I hope you won't mind a couple of suggestions. Many people gravitate to uncleaned coins because they are cheap and they reason that if they mess it up, not much is lost. But a budding archaeological conservator cannot use that rationale. Your goal is to reclaim material lost by time, and for that the cleaning process needs to be more than just trial and error. 1. Before you try to tackle conservation of uncleaned coins, I would suggest you become familiar with the coin designs for the kind of material you intend to work on. Pictures are one thing, but cleaning involves excavating the relief of a coin, and that takes some experience and a bit of reference material to guide you. Buy a starter lot, but study it before you try to clean anything. 2. Most lots of uncleaned coins have a fair number of Late Roman Bronze coins in them, sometimes fully encrusted over a surface rich in detail but not readily accessible. See what you can recognize in your starter lot before you have attempted to clean anything. It will help to become familiar with the details of the known "types" of LRB coins, not only for the iconography but also for the epigraphy. What are the inscriptions and their letter forms? Learning how to "read" an ancient is critical to recognizing what appears only in fragments. 3. This knowledge will not come overnight, but keep looking at your starter lot until you have some sense of forms below the encrustation. Before you use tools and chemicals on your coins, see what you can do with just your fingers and body fluids. You would be amazed at how much conservation is just rubbing. Don't be too quick to decide to give the coins a bath in distilled water or olive oil, two common cleaners, until you have some idea of what to expect from that. For example: imagine one of your uncleaned coins. Does the encrustation darken when you work it between your thumb and forefinger? What then would be a likely outcome if you soaked it in olive oil for a week? If that change takes place, will it make the cleaning task easier or more difficult? As an archeologist you know how to approach a task in layers. That skill should be applied to cleaning your "hoard." Once you have a coin cleaned up, do you have a long term conservation plan for it? Do you stick it in a flip and forget it? Are you familiar with Renaissance Wax and how to use it? I recommend building a small reference collection of readable material (not necessarily prime coins) before taking the plunge into the conservation of uncleaned coins. But have a starter lot you got off of ebay as a teaser and a goal, at which you look but do not touch until you can't stop yourself. My 2 folles worth.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
522 Posts |
Hi Finn235: I don't really collect ancients, so- at this point- I'd probably be happy with anything identifiable. I noticed the lots you described on ebay. Some do look like piles of junk. Others, I think those you designated as "unidentified" look better. Perhaps I should try one of those, attempt to further clean them, and then identify. That could be a good, hands-on education, which, I guess, is really what I am looking for.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6130 Posts |
Here are some of the lots I have won, for reference: 1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-20-A...9431?txnId=0This one was sold by a collector or inheritor, NOT a dealer. What tipped me off was the number of radiates (spiky crowned portraits) in the lot, the small coin inscribed with "S C" (a quadrans of Claudius), and the larger sestertius. None of these coins needed cleaning, but took a lot of very enjoyable time to identify. 2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-72-A...1342?txnId=0This one was the only truly uncleaned lot, and was probably worth much less than I paid for it. About half of the coins are in too rough of shape for me to clean at my skill level, but plenty were just fine with no cleaning. This had some larger coins as well; some identifiable, others not. Notable coins from this lot were a Moesia provincial of Philip the Arab (large green coin at the top), AE of Julia Domna (large pitted one at the left), and some more common coins in good shape. 3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-20-U...9978?txnId=0Jury is still out on whether this one was a steal or a rip-off. I bought it solely for the challenge of identifying some improperly cleaned coins, and because only a couple are "late roman bronze" types.
Edited by Finn235 11/11/2015 1:40 pm
|
|
Moderator
 United States
23731 Posts |
When I first started with ancient coins my intention was to buy un-cleanded lots clean them and sell the coins. Back than large lots weren't very expensive so I would buy lots of 1000 coins soak them in olive oil for a time and clean them. Out of 1000 coins there would on average be 300 coins that were just culls unable to clean or too corroded. The rest were mostly Late Roman Bronzes. Out of the tens of thousands coins I've cleaned over the years I found only three silver coins and never any gold. I enjoyed the cleaning process it was relaxing and exciting when I removed the dirt and revealed what was hidden for 1500 or so years. For a time a made some money selling them that I used to support my US Cap Bust Half Dollar collection. But than one day I realized that I would much rather collect ancient coins than any other type. The rest is history. I haven't bought any un-cleaned lots in over ten years now. ebay is a good source but the prices have gone up. Here is a link to Dirty Old Coins were you can buy higher grade lots. http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6130 Posts |
I would say that regardless of whether you shop on ebay or elsewhere, there are four types of sellers you will encounter when buying a lot of coins: 1) Dealers and collectors who are upfront and selling to make a profit. 2) Same as 1) but selling culls to reduce costs. These are usually listed as such. 3) Collectors or inheritor who have no idea what they have 4) Scam artists. I am sure you are familiar with the "unsearched roll" scam as a US Classics collector. Same theory applies--never bid on a lot from a successful seller if it seems too good to be true.
|
| |
Replies: 7 / Views: 1,778 |
|
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

- Post Your Coins With Coats Of Arms, Shields, Crests, Crowns, Etc.
- Definitive Test For Black Beauty Nickels
- My Last Purchase: A Bronze Greek Coin Representing The Poetess Sappho
- How Many Countries Do You Have Coins From?
- How Far Back Can We Go? Ninth Edition!
- 1966 Nickel Die Adjustment Strike?
- Post Your Stories & Pix Of Found Money
- 1885-Zs Mexico - 25 Centavos W/Arcing Die Crack, Tilted & Re-Punched Reverse Die
- 1934 Peace Dollar NGC MS-67+ At Auction
- Will Our Coins Ever Be Valuable?
- G L B 49's MS-70 Perfect Silver Coins
- ID Help - Roman Provincial Coin
- 1894 Fifty Cents - Grade This Coin. It May Or May Not Be TPG.
- 1847 Undecimo Edge Great Britain Gothic Crown, Gothic Type, NGC PF61
- Error Opinions, 1971-D DDO, 1955-D/S, 1996-P Quarter
- Post Your Coins Representing The Animal Kingdom.
- Post Your Bird Coins
- Post Your Coin Or Medal With Flora
- Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions
- Post Your Coins Of Steel (And Iron)!
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
|
| Coin Community Forum |
© 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums |
| It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. |
 |
|
| |
| |