| Author |
Replies: 6 / Views: 1,003 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1136 Posts |
Hello everyone, I come across a fair amount of these in Rome, but I have found very little widespread collector interest. I only own one other, but bought this medal because of the fantastic toning on the reverse and the price. For large silver, 39.33 grams and 44 mm, and low mintage 3,150, I am surprised these aren't more popular. I get that they are religious and feature the Pope, but the reverses are typically wonderful. I have read about them on Italian sites and a few threads here, but curious what everyone thinks of these   
|
|
|
|
Moderator
 United States
34564 Posts |
@roma, that is very nice, especially the rev showing the basilica and the papal apartments (I think—pls correct me if I'm wrong).
Most of my collection focus is on older, smaller silver coins and without access to infinite piles of money I'm forced to make hard decisions about what to add to my collection. 20th Century medals just don't make the cut, although these and Swiss Shooting Thalers would be near the top targets for me.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push." -----Ghanaian proverb
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed." -----King Adz
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Italy
1136 Posts |
@Spence, I think that is St. John's of Lateran - which is an Archbasilica and the seat of the arch diocese of Rome and the Basilica in Assisi. I have been to both; the Assisi Basilica I am nearly certain is on the medal, but St. John's ... not sure. I haven't double checked, but I think that's my understanding based on the text.
Good point on focus (and budget). I am still curating what and how I want to collect, but the toning and price took me on this one.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Sweden
2124 Posts |
The medal shows the Basilica in Loreto (Basilica della Santa Casa di Maria, or Basilica of the Holy House of the Virgin Mary) and the Basilica in Assisi. The text on the medal refers to (the pope's) pilgrimage to the basilicas in Loreto and Assisi in conjunction with the Second Ecumenical Council of the Vatican 1962.
It is a nice medal, attractive toning - I can understand that you fell for it. For me, I enjoy looking at medals, like this one, but I have no interest in collecting them. I cannot provide a rationale for why not - it's just not my thing.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Italy
1136 Posts |
@era... I pass on a lot of these... Usually they are cleaned or boxed (I can't stand mint packaging or any packaging; this is largely because I like to use space efficiently and boxes take up too much room). In the time I've collected my main guideline has been..."do I like it? Will I enjoy owning it?" Since everything we own is essentially temporary, I buy things I don't mind being the custodian of for a finite amount of its history...
|
|
New Member
United States
48 Posts |
Just sold my collection at HA.com last year and many more are going up in the next few months. There is little collector interest except for the silver ones. The bronze are just as wonderful as the silver. Many of the medals are done by the engravers of the Italian Mint. I just had too many and had to get rid of some of the collection. I regret it somewhat, but I did do very well in the auctions. You can check HA.com for past prices
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 Italy
1136 Posts |
@angelo, I checked out HA, and recent sales are interesting. You collected some good medals. I tend to just buy what I like and I see a lot of these medals, but usually pass.
Unfortunately, Italian collectors LOVE to polish their coins and medals. Yesterday, I consigned (it's how sales are done here) at a shop and the clerk was put off by the patina on the coins. I told him a collector could polish them if they liked.
Given the detail in these papal medals I am still surprised they don't have a wider u.s. (or non-italian) collector base.
|
| |
Replies: 6 / Views: 1,003 |
|