Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions300,000 items to help build your collection!








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Seated Liberty Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,187Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
nod2003's Avatar
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  5:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
What do you guys think as far as grade?
Any way to determine the date?
Did I do ok for $3.25?

Thanks

Seated-Liberty-Quarter
Seated-Liberty-Quarter
Pillar of the Community
yotie's Avatar
United States
3077 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for 3.25 I supose that aint too bad I just paid 2.50 for a dateless Standing quarter so I could restore the date

Pillar of the Community
Moe145's Avatar
United States
8904 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Seated Liberty quarter (SLQ) was minted from 1838-1891.

Since it's got a motto above the eagle, it was minted after 1865. Therefore, it could be 1866 S (Mintage 28,000, rare obviously), or 1876 S (mintage 8,596,000).

So, my guess is 1876 S SLQ.

There was no 1886 S SLQ minted.

I hope this helps...

Pillar of the Community
ratman4762's Avatar
United States
2530 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the last number is a 6, narrows it down to 1866 or 1876.
Moderator
Learn More...
vermontensium's Avatar
United States
16697 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF25 details holed,damaged. Not bad for what you paid considering silver melt.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Pillar of the Community
nod2003's Avatar
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2009  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, I figure its been in the ground since the guy I bought it from mds
Pillar of the Community
nod2003's Avatar
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2009  12:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the odds are strongly in favor of an 1876 date, is there a way to determine definitively that it is not an 1866? because considering that rarity, it would be a large value difference even for a damaged coin.

How about mm placement?
Edited by nod2003
08/19/2009 7:04 pm
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2009  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked heritage archives for mm placement, and I am almost entirely sure yours is a 76-s. All of the 66-s coins I looked at had the mintmark much further to the left right above the beginning of the "r". Here is a 66-s reverse. The ones I looked at for 76-s looked closer to yours, although I imagine they have different placements since so many were minted:

Seated-Liberty-Quarter
Pillar of the Community
nod2003's Avatar
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2009  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I see that. Thanks for the help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,187Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Forums