Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1879-S VAM 9

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,415Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2010  10:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I picked this up the other day and I always try my best to attribute to a VAM. I believe this may be a VAM 9. Hopefully the pics are sufficient. One die marker missing is the die marker by the cotton leaf, there is one. But enjoy.
1879-S-VAM-9

1879-S-VAM-9

1879-S-VAM-9

1879-S-VAM-9

1879-S-VAM-9

1879-S-VAM-9

Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2010  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you have a winner, sir. Wonderful eye appeal, as well - it has no major distractions. What's your opinion of grade? I'm inclined to think it has slightly circulated.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still working on taking better photos, but I think it is around an xf or so, there is some where on Liberty's hair above the ear and above the brow. Also some where on the Eagles breast feathers.

I do like the eye appeal of this one as well.
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed....a very pretty coin.
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would disagree regarding grade; methinks this one's no worse than AU50, maybe 55. The hair details are not always fully brought up; I tend to concentrate on reverse details such as the top edges of the wings, the neck and legs when grading.
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your opinion, it just reaffirms why I come here, to learn something new everyday in this great hobby.

Now when grading Morgans, I do need to take yr/mint into consideration correct? Is there a recommended book covering these details?

Thanks again.
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This stuff isn't really all codified in one book; it's more just experience you pick up with practice. One can generalize more about mint than year. Generally, I expect San Fransisco coins to be well-struck and New Orleans the opposite. Philadelphia can be all over the scale but normally is found well-struck. Exceptions occur.

It's actually kinda hard to describe the process, since the areas where weak strikes show are also areas of early wear - hair, breast, talons. The biggest two leaves, left and right of the wreath. The dots in the cotton bolls.

I do this almost subconsciously now. Part of it is factoring in the quality of the photographic process; it's a heck of a lot easier in-hand because then you can evaluate luster as an additional factor. There will be a more rounded look to the hair nearest the ear when it's wear; a flat strike tends to "shelve" there. The talons will be equally featureless with a weak strike, and differ in detail if worn. If the detail at the top of the wings is sharp yet the breast looks "worn," I think strike instead of wear.
Pillar of the Community
aladinslamp's Avatar
United States
3076 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  02:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definite lock on VAM 9! nice coin! don't think I have a 79 with rev 78..one of these days....
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey buddy, how have you been? I have missed you....We have been talking coin stuff here.
Pillar of the Community
aladinslamp's Avatar
United States
3076 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hey Zee the 78 stuff is really amazing...got to look at some of it. good stuff!
Pillar of the Community
3660 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2010  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zeewool to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the exchange of ideas......I think that normally Dave and I see eye to eye (unless he just humors me most of the time), but we are at odds on the 7/8TF thing it seems.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,415Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Forums