Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Same Type Coins Constitute A Hoard?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 2,039Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
1231 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  6:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add onejinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
So tell me how many of the same type coin (ie wheat cents) are in a hoard?

**edit**

I adjusted the poll a little with a minimum amount instead of a set range.

Poll Choices
 100+
 200+
 500+
 1,000+
 1,500+
 3,000+
 5,000+
 10,000+
 15,000+
 30,000+

Edited by onejinx
02/10/2009 6:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
97989 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I chose 1001-1500 because it sounds like a good number to me.

The results and discussion could be interesting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4541 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i choose 100-200 is a hoard.. It might not be a lot but 100 or 200 silver halves is a lot
Pillar of the Community
United States
1908 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have to consider what type coin it is before I could give it an answer. If we are talking wheats then probably 5001-10,000. If you think about it that's only 2-4 boxes. Now a hoard or "herd" of Buffalo nickels maybe less in my opinion, say 1001-1500, since they aren't and haven't been easily plucked out of circulation for years.
Learn More...
Australia
13582 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, the answer is, "More than two".

A "hoard" is all about attitude, not quantity. If they're sorted, categorized and stored in such a way that each coin is individualized, then it's a collection, not a hoard, even if there are thousands of them.

If they're just tossed in a big bucket and sitting there, kept for no reason other than "they're special" or "they might be worth more than face value one day", then it's a hoard, not a collection, no matter how full or empty the bucket is.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3456 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree totally with sap. A hoard has to be defined by the fact that the owner intentionally saved the coins in an unorganized fashion. I actually have known some people who have had jugs and boxes of "loose change" sitting about their house. And they thought of these coins as nothing more than trash, not a hoard.

In fact, way back in high school I had a friend how had a huge jug full of loose change. I jokingly offered him $10 for it. He then snatched the $10 out of my hand and said "HAHA I know a good deal when I see one." The funny thing is that I hauled hit home (not an easy task) and searched through it. I found a lot of interesting foreign coins and wheat cents. Once those were removed, I rolled the rest. In total I had $600 face! No. I actually felt a bit bad about this since I did get this off of a good friend of mine, but he insisted that I keep it. (A very good example of "one man's trash being another man's treasure.")

This jug full of coins easy could have been considered a hoard, but this guy did view it that way, so it was not a hoard.
Edited by Archraz
02/10/2009 7:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3161 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, in theory 2-3 coins can be considered a "hoard". It depends on how many likely survivors there are. I probably have about 15 1875 3CN. I think that would constitute a mini-hoard of sorts as those coins are not quite so easy to come by.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1228 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HOLLYWOOD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pick 100+ this is a good poll.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can you be a collecter and still have a hoard?

*hides coffee can of coppers*
Pillar of the Community
United States
9581 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it varies by denomination. With cents you'd need 1000 or more for it to be a hoard.

With double eagles I'd call 10 or more a hoard.

Just my 2 cents.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
3060 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
but you wouldnt put them double eagles in a coffee can would you?
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add elsjls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to think a hoard is more then you can carry with your 2 hands.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2009  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennehChaos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're talking pounds, right? I say 500+
When a strong man can't lift it without assistance, it crosses the line from collection to hoard
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2009  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dreamstones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find on this poll I agree with Sap. Intent seems to me to be the defining difference between hoard and collection...fun topic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2009  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I chose 200-500 coins as a horde. But I horde silver halves. If it were coppers, I would probably say you need at least 2000.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2600 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2009  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim1953 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I chose the lowest amount but agree with Sap.
Jim
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 2,039Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05