Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New, Rare Find - 1982 Constitution Dollar Thin Planchet

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  12:30 am Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

It is not very often that I get to thump my chest, but you have to be a nickel collector to fully appreciate this coin.

Discovered in a coin dealer's ice cream bucket of nickel dollars, then to Nuphilex, before landing in my hands. After acquiring the coin, I showed it to Proof Positive Coins, and that dealer (who has seen them all) stated it was the nicest one he knows of. For obvious reasons, these coins tend to be crappy strikes, there is not enough nickel in this planchet, to force metal into the reeded collar and into various parts of the devices at the edges of the dies. Now in a safety deposit box, next stop, PCGS.

Weight is 7.84 grams, medal axis.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
11/24/2011 12:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1402 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic...so if I understand correctly, you bought this identified as a "thin planchet" at Nuphilex? Or was it unlabeled?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7516 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition for your collection.How many of these are known?
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  01:40 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With this coin, I think 6 are known (similar in population to the 1985 New Zealand mule). All are medal axis (the Charlton is wrong stating coinage axis). As for the purchase price, well, that will remain confidential, but both the dealer and I are happy (it is one thing to cherry pick a dealer with repunched dates or obverse types, but I would never rip a dealer off with a coin like this). The coin dealer is also a long time friend, and friendships are too valuable to let little pieces of metal tear them apart...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
11/24/2011 01:43 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15551 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  02:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an uncirculated 1965 British Penny, which is about 40% underweight, with all details fully struck up. I suspect that this coin is not as rare as your Dollar.

I also have a NZ / Bahama Islands 2 Cents mule. I think about 30,000 of this mule exist. It is a genuine British Royal Mint error, which was not discovered until all of the errors had been issued. This mule is considerably more numerous than your Dollar.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1402 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  03:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations SPP. A true rarity is an understatement.

Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10585 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Congrats, SPP,

How do coins like this get out the Mint door, and would there be more kicking around?
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1510 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Any idea of the history? Was it picked fresh from a roll? It looks like it may have "circulated" to the same degree any nickel dollars did.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1313 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you take a 1929 MS64 Red PCGS High 9 for it? Nice coin Roger.
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  10:20 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How do coins like this get out the Mint door, and would there be more kicking around?

Actually, the Charlton Standard does a good job of describing this coin. It is not a back door job, but an error with a supplier and quality control. An external supplier provided planchets that were were much too thin, a bunch of these coins were struck, but most were retrieved by the mint before the coins were issued. I think some got out, because for 1982, the mint supplied mint-wrapped paper rolls instead of the usual shipment out in mint bags.

The back door jobs for the nickel dollar series are the 1969 (population 5), 1970 (unique), 1971 (unique) dollar coins struck on 50c silver planchets and the 1970 dollar struck on a the 1967 $20 gold planchet, the latter of which was seized by the RCMP and subsequently destroyed by the RCM.

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you take a 1929 MS64 Red PCGS High 9 for it?

While I do love small, red variety cents, nickel dollars are my primary collection. Let me put it this way Randy, nickel dollars are to me, are what twoonies are to Jaime (Ty)...

http://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/all...aspx?s=82059

PS - does this mean your 1929 is for sale?

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
11/24/2011 10:35 am
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice! Any idea of the history?

Yes, it was literally in an ice-cream bucket, at a coin dealer's shop. The coin was not circulated, those marks are typical "coin-dealers-tossing-rolls-of-BU-nickel-dollars-into-the-junk-bin" marks... That is why this series has such grade rarities for business strikes - low mintage, heavy, hard coin combined with nobody caring because there was no intrinsic precious metal value. Yet, a cheap series to collect in MS-64, because the demand is simply not there. For me, it has been the true "thrill of the hunt" with this series... with minimal risk and loss, until you try to fill the big error strikes...

I think this series is a bit of a sleeper, because it represents the last of the Canadian dollar Voyageur series. It is a big, beautiful, pure nickel coin. Perhaps someday, my MS-66 picks that I have made across the country's coin shops will be highly sought after...

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10585 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW... Great looking registry set, SPP.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1402 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see why you agree with ICCS being a poor grading co...they overgraded all your coins!

Since ICCS coins sell at a premium to PCGS coins of the same grade, having a coin go from ICCS MS65 to PCGS MS64 is probably a huge financial hit in terms of re-saleability...

That is..until Canadians wake up to reality and get rid of ICCS once and for all
Edited by canadian-varieties
11/24/2011 10:39 am
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since ICCS coins sell at a premium to PCGS coins of the same grade, having a coin go from ICCS MS65 to PCGS MS64 is probably a huge financial hit in terms of re-saleability.

Well, that theory would apply with older coinage, but most of those coins I found raw, and cost me less than a Starbucks latte... Resale was not on my mind when I slabbed those coins. They all went to ICCS first (back in 2007) and then went to PCGS in 2010. I think the current grades more precisely represent the coins, the MS-66 strikes have the eye-appeal. The 1970 strikes would be the exception, I submitted three 1970 nickel dollars (all ICCS MS-65) and all came back MS-64. The fields and devices were clean (strong technical grade), but 1970 (and 1971) is a bad year for 'dead or weak' strikes. Simply not enough pressure was used. Note that PCGS, unlike ICCS, also takes the strike into consideration for higher mint state grades. Also PCGS tends to be stricter on the devices and more forgiving in the fields, whereas ICCS is stricter in the fields, and much more forgiving on the devices (even with modern MS-67 grades - which is ridiculous). But, we are getting off topic here...

Regardless of grade, both ICCS and CCCS flips are not designed to hold large heavy coins. You drop them once, and the mylar insert cracks and breaks.

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
11/24/2011 12:33 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2011  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WOW... Great looking registry set, SPP

Well, you can't see anything yet. I had a friend come and photograph the coins in a professional fashion, so I will post the coin images up on the registry set sometime later next month. Photographing coins through plastic windows is not an easy task. I also have about 8 upgrades for that set, as I continuously scour for the perfect business strike. I prefer to find them raw, rather than pay the outrageous fees that two eBay sellers try to charge.

The handful of coins graded MS-67 to MS-69 in the other sets are errors, PCGS wrongly attributed PL (Numismatic BU) as MS... I have been advising the Canadian PCGS representative on that series, and should be fixed shortly...

My eBay store
Edited by SPP-Ottawa
11/24/2011 12:30 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05