Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970's 20th Century Type Set Holder

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2012  11:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today I got a 20th century type set holder made expressly for Bowers & Ruddy Galleries, Inc. by Capital Plastics which dates to the very early 1970's. It was bought off of eBay. It has holes for coins that none of the regular Capital Plastics 20th century type set holders ever had. The following list of coins have openings which are now yearning to be filled and I will have a lot of fun finding just the right pieces to fill it up.

Nickels:
Liberty 1883-1913
Buffalo Type I 1913
Buffalo Type II 1913-1938
Jefferson 1938-
Jefferson Wartime Silver 1942-1945

Dimes:
Barber 1892-1916
Mercury 1916-1945
Roosevelt 1946-1964
Roosevelt Clad 1965-

Quarters:
Liberty 1892-1916
Liberty Standing Type I 1916-1917
Liberty Standing Type II 1917-1930
Washington 1932-1964
Washington Clad 1965-

Half Dollars:
Liberty 1892-1915
Walking Liberty 1916-1947
Franklin 1948-1963
Kennedy 1964
Kennedy Clad 1965-

Dollars:
Morgan 1878-1921
Peace 1921-1935
Eisenhower Silver 1971-
Eisenhower Clad 1971-

Top half - cents, nickels and dimes

Bottom half - quarters, halves and dollars

The whole enchilada

The holder measures 8 x 10 1/2 inches and is in very good condition. What hairline scratches that it has can be smoothed out with scratch remover for plastic.

One thing that is super nice about this holder is it does NOT have any of the darned bicentennial coins in it or the Susan B. Uglies, Sacagawea's, State Quarters, Presidential dollars, the 2009 cents, or those ugly new nickels.

Ed
ANA LM-3175
Pillar of the Community
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very cool
Pillar of the Community
United States
3171 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very cool, I think capital plastics made a black version!
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  03:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll have to post another picture when it's full.
Valued Member
United States
402 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classy looking. Nice find. Does it have any covering for the coins? Probably does. Seems to have screws to take it apart. Type coins will look really nice against that. Saw the black one once but didnt think the coins would look good against that color. Lets see some pictures when you get some coins in it.

edgman
Pillar of the Community
United States
1432 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a similar holder, Capital #460, made between '65 and '70. No Ike dollar and the Kennedys are listed as .900 1964 and .400 1965- with no end date. It also doesn't have holes for Type I & II Buffs or SLQs.

Gyrene . . if I may ask, how much was your holder on eBay? I just took the coins out of mine and am deciding what to do with the holder. Wish I had scanned it before removing the coins because the blue (or the black) really shows off AU-BU-Proof examples.
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice holders!

I look forward to seeing them filled.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That blue holder is awesome. I'd love to own one like that for my kids. I'll have to check out eBay to see if I can get one. My son would love it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16321 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a white holder that is a little later than the first one, it does have the Bicentennials but I don't remember if it has the SBA. It's the holder I built my proof set in. Still need the Barber quarter and half. The steel cent, Type I buffalo, Standing quarter, and Peace dollar are Mint State, everything else is proof.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101, that sounds like an awesome set. I have an 18 hole holder which I was planning to fill with proof coins. The only two issues that didn't have proofs made are the Peace dollar and Standing Liberty quarter. It doesn't have a hole for the steel cent or type I Buffalo nickel.

Ed
ANA LM-3175
Pillar of the Community
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's mine (the terrible picture it is). The one dumb thing with this set is that they have the NCLT version of the Eisenhower (silver) dollar which was never intended for circulation, whereas all other coins were.

Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's mine (the terrible picture it is).
Terrible? No. Even if it were, a terrible picture is better than no picture.

Quote:
The one dumb thing with this set is that they have the NCLT version of the Eisenhower (silver) dollar which was never intended for circulation, whereas all other coins were.
The Eisenhower dollar is special. That is my story and I am sticking to it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prethen, I LIKE that holder and the picture is fine even with the reflection of the light which doesn't cover any of the coins. Now I'll have to search for one though I prefer white over black. The black holders are great for bright coins but brown coppers or toned silver do not show that well.
Ed
ANA LM-3175
Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jdbarrick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome. Those holders seem to be hard to come by and they are somewhat pricey. You will have fun filling it!
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a old Capital type set holder in there in a box that was given to me a few years ago. I think I have put a few circulated coins in there but nothing like I did with the Dansco album. I also have a 20th century Dollar capital holder that has one of each type of Dollars that have been minted in the 20th century and its stops at the Ike or SBA (not sure which one)
Pillar of the Community
United States
6088 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2012  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a holder similar to prethen black with gold lettering but closer to Jeffrose's holder in size. Mine does not have the place for VDB Lincoln, or type 1 on the Buffalo nickle or the Standing Liberty quarter but all the other in prethen's set. It's a handsome holder but I'm torn on which coins I want in it verses my 7070.
Edited by muddler
10/06/2012 1:02 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05