Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grade Of This 1935 New Zealand Half Crown?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 3,218Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3472 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  6:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just got this one. It is rather nice and has a slightly golden toning. Any guesses as to grade? I am not certain if it is EF or AU. Also, any thoughts on a realistic value? Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say VF or better but it's hard to say from the photo.
Not sure about price either but 1935 didn't have too high a mintage and it's in decent condition. Maybe $100?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3472 Posts
 Posted 11/04/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mr T- thanks for the input. Yes, the pic could be a bit better thanks to the lighting, but I do think that there is a bit too much ear, hair, and crown detail to be merely a VF (at least not a US VF). hmm, maybe I need to take better pics tomorrow when the sun is out again.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 11/05/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make the pictures larger if you can.
I don't have an up to date New Zealand price guide so my guess of $100 was kind of a rough guess.
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2012  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 NZ Premier Catalogue value in VF is NZ$50.00. Sorry thats about US$41.00. Total mintage for 1935 612,364 so there is room for it to appreciate in value. Value in UNC is NZ$1500 ( US$1230.00)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2012  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks EF or better to me. These are beautiful coins. After Australian coins New Zealand makes up the next largest portion of my collection and its due to them being so beautiful IMO. I reckon Mr T might be right with an estimate of around $100 bucks.
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2012  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks EF or better to me. These are beautiful coins. After Australian coins New Zealand makes up the next largest portion of my collection and its due to them being so beautiful IMO

Using the english grading system, I would say Very fine is the most accurate grade ( and I usually over grade) the reason for the very fine assessment:

Reverse: this is the best side of the coin. A good way to assess grade is to look at the stars in the top left section of the arms. There is an inner star ( inside each of the four) for EF and above all those inner stars need to be clear and obvious the middle right star on this example seems to be quite worn( but that could be the photo). Then look at the carved face to the left of the stars, the lines to the right of the right eye are the next to show wear, there seems to be wear occurring at that point as well.

Obverse: The upper parts of the beard and hair are quite well worn. Also the ermine tails on the Kings cloak are very definitly worn. It would be great if it did sell for US$100.00 but it is well above what you would pay in New Zealand for a similar coin.

Examples

http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-c...40328300.htm

Higher grade

http://www.trademe.co.nz/antiques-c...39553841.htm
Edited by austrokiwi
12/04/2012 08:11 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2012  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one looks just as good as the second link you posted austrokiwi. That has a bid at $250. Its certainly nicer than the first one you posted.

Its hard to tell from the pictures anyway. We needs better pics really.
Edited by enworb
12/04/2012 08:48 am
Australia
31 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  05:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nightparrot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would agree with VF.

Quote:
After Australian coins New Zealand makes up the next largest portion of my collection and its due to them being so beautiful IMO.

I really like NZ coins too. I have a nice collection of pennies almost all uncirculated. I put it together for the cost of one decent Aussie George V penny.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19686 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2013  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would go with EF on this one. Obv.: only a tiny amount of wear on the orb to the crown, and slight loss of definition in the King's beard.
The reverse with this design is excellent at hiding wear and as always, is hard to find on EF examples. If you look closely, wear can be found on most high points.

I suspect that the reverse design wears so well has to do with the fact there are a large number of high points of equal height on the reverse.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 3,218Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: