Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Eye Appeal Vs Grade.

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,134Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  1:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I'm just wondering what collectors would do in the scenario I'm about to say. (Read scenario, then vote)
Imagine this, someone offers you a free coin that you can pick out of the two coins the person is holding. Both the coins are the same, same date, denomination and and where it's from. Both coins are at least 100 years old and are common coins.
Coin 1) (with good eye appeal) The coin is it's original color and wasn't cleaned. No scratches or dents. The only problem is, it's worn. Coin grade: VG-8.
Coin 2) (with good grade) The coin is darker and dirtier than usual, but not cleaned. There are scratches, and it's corroded with green spots. The good thing is, it's not worn. Coin grade: AU-50.
witch one would you chose? (if you have a certain reason please say why)

Poll Choices
  Eye appeal.
 Grade.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5045 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure a coin with scratches, corrosion and green spots could truly grade AU-50. Most (All?) such coins would be returned by grading services such as PCGS, NGC, ANACS as "Damaged." They might also include a "Details" grade, but that doesn't mean the coin is considered to be that grade.

You might consider changing the options you've presented.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4216 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of those two choices, I'd choose the first, but as commems said, the corroded etc. wouldn't actually grade AU50, but would be considered damaged.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with commems as well. Corrosion and green would not allow an AU50 grade - they most likely would have to have been present at grading.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
788 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom Goodheart to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't voted yet in case you want to change your options. But generally eye appeal wins over grade for me.

That said, I doubt I'd be much interested in anything below F15. Particularly for a common coin.

This for example, I'd grade a good Fine (around F18). But it's a type that is difficult to find with a decent portrait, on a full flan. So to my mind it was well worth what I paid for it. Scratched and worn though it is. It has eye appeal.

Whereas this was graded VF30 by PCGS. Cost me five times the other coin. Better? Not such an easy choice, is it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3640 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  4:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would have to choose the better eye.
In the old school so to speak, days of grading coins,
eye appeal was one of many factors other than just wear
or the lack of etc. There was a system used and each category received a certain number of points. Eye appeal was one of the categories used to determine the final grade once all of the points were added up. Also the worst side of the coin being it the obverse or the reverse determined the final grade. There was no net grading back then. Another point has to do with toning. Let's say that the toning was determined as being natural. Now, some graders hate toning and others love it. That made a difference again on the final grade. The old point system as well as the worst obv./rev. deal is no longer in use. The graders would not even have the time today to even fill out the sheet of paper or do the word work on the comp. I personally think that these big business coin grading co.'s
are not up to snuff compared with the graders of the past.
It's just a money making scheme either way. If you want a certain coin for your own personal collection then select
what you like. Buy the coin not the slab. If it is for resale then go with the highest grade marked on the slab.
Anyway, eye appeal is a personal thing. So Aye away sailor.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20018 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I voted for the AU coin. Although your poll is rather not clear enough. Those spots could be minor or large, Scratches could be almost microsopic. Not worn? So how did it get scratches? Was it made that way? Green spots? How many and what size? Could be just green dirt. Just to many possibilities and to vague a question.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With two coins somewhat closer in grade, I will take eye appeal every single time. Especially if the more appealing coin is AU and the better grade, say, 63. In the specific case as you've posted it, I'd take the AU coin and see what I could do to help it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO good clean wear plus eye appeal beats a high technical grade most of the time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2501 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
first, I don't claim to be a pro at grading, or even good at it most of the time, but I can tell the difference between VG and AU...

plus I refuse to buy into the whole "pay to have someone grade a coin that I could grade myself" (I'm not collecting MS coins),

so I choose eye appeal, 100% of the time
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money" Ö
Edited by Wade
06/02/2013 9:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1088 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stud722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that eye appeal is my deciding factor more so than grade.
264 Countries and Counting!
Learn More...
United States
16362 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it would have to depend on how bad (or detracting) the problem is.
If the coin is holed, harshly cleaned, severely corroded...forget it.
Coins that have these issues have 0 eye appeal to me, regardless
of grade.
I have many coins in my collection that are problem coins but still retain nice eye appeal.
My vote, it just depends.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2013  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Dave, if the grade was closer Id take eye appeal. VG to AU is a huge difference though and with a gap like that I'mátaking the grade
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3319 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2013  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's common enough that I could buy the low-grade version elsewhere reasonably easily and cheaply (say under $10), then I probably choose the AU and next week buy a VG-10 example elsewhere (and very possibly trade the AU away for something else). If there's not much of a price/availability difference up to XF-AU either, I buy that instead (and might choose on eye appeal - see note below).
If it's uncommon/valuable enough that I could send the AU coin to be slabbed, then sell the newly slabbed AU-50 coin on eBay, and still get a decent profit (say $50 or more), I likely choose the AU, proceed to do just that, then buy something I actually wanted but couldn't afford (for $50, probably a Morgan dollar, but there are several other possibilities). If it's already something I wanted but couldn't afford (such as, I don't know, a Siberian kopek), I probably choose the VG (but see later note on eye appeal).
A few coins are either so ridiculously common or have so much bullion value that they cost pretty much the same in VG and AU. If the first (and it doesn't fit in the previously-mentioned "very cheap" category), I choose depending on eye appeal (which might not necessarily be the VG coin); if the second, I choose the VG (because silver with green spots is really ugly, and corroded gold is so unrealistic as to be next to impossible... and probably still really ugly) and then gloat about having such a valuable coin.
Several designs actually look much better to me in VG than they do in AU (in fact I think Morgan dollars are an example); then I certainly choose the VG. Some more designs are usually missing some very important details (date, type, mintmark, etc) when worn to VG; in this case I would probably choose the VG if it somehow still has them and the AU otherwise. Yet other coins (especially commemorative) are actually more common - or occasionally even less valuable - in AU than in VG; in that case I probably choose the less common/more valuable VG version.
...I probably missed a few more specialized cases; but generally, if it doesn't fit into any of the above-mentioned situations, I probably decide on eye appeal - which, as said above, might not necessarily be the VG (for example, if the design has enough beautiful details that show up in AU but don't in VG, all the other detractions involved might not actually detract from the eye appeal more that missing these details would).
Pillar of the Community
United States
607 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2013  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
eye appeal. I gotta look at it, I want to appreciate it. If it doesn't "speak" to me, I don't want it.
71 of 72 in my edition of the Dansco 7070.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2402 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2013  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye appeal for me every time. That said, it would be unusual for a poorly graded coin to have great eye appeal if placed beside a highly graded one. The choice between the two is probably better discussed for grades that are similar, i.e., a VF+ graded coin versus an EF coin with a huge ding or holed etc.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 2,134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05