Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Possibly Foreign Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2013  2:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Monkeyshines0123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone possibly tell me what this coin is, only got the one side will post the other in a second post, new to this stuff .

*** combined the two threads ***

Other side of the coin. Have had this sitting in my drawer for several years my brother thought I should see if I could find out what it was.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2013  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should put both pictures in the same post instead of in two different topics.

It looks like a tourist replica to me, but I am not an expert in Ancient coins and your pictures are a little small.
Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2013  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** from other thread ***

YoshiRules posted

Quote:
Weight? Metal composition?
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2013  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Monkeyshines0123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do I tell what the metal is I'm no expert at this stuff in any way and I have no scales for weight, I am pretty sure it's not a tourist replica because of the wear and the stamp or cast or whatever you call it is almost exactly the same as some byzantine coins, I found some with the man or king or priest, whatever it is but none with the lion.
How do I enlarge the photo but still stay under the pixel limit ? the wear seems to be another indication of possible circulation as well, I wish I knew whether those were numbers or some type of language, just guessing I'd say it weighs a little more than a dime that's by hand comparison.
Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2013  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need to crop out the blank space and only show the coin. The free Free Image Optimizer can help
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2013  01:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse looks fake to me. Not sure about the reverse. You need to post weight. You also need to look for any chipped portions that show a different metal underneath. I'm no expert but if you're lucky this might turn out to br atleast a silver replica
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2013  01:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a picture of the edge too?
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2013  01:05 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a struck copy to me however, I'm no authority on ancients.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2013  04:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is clearly a tourist fantasy piece.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05