Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 United States Mint Limited Edition Silver Proof Set

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 20,305Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  08:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was trolling the US Mint Website and came across this set that will ship on February 21st. It's a bit pricy at $139.95, but seems very interesting, especially with a relatively low mintage of 50K units. I love the ASE and am a regular collector of the Annual Silver Proof sets. Since the annual silver sets don't have the ASE, this caught my attention.

Did anyone order the first year set (2012)? Any thoughts from other collectors on the 2013 set?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  08:24 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set, well packaged. I bought a few but at the time I thought they were pricy but I went for them anyway.

Going price for th2 2012 set as of Monday is around $285 with a few going for $299
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What was the total mintage of the 2012 set...?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  08:47 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same 50k limit. I think they sold a few above that to account for returns.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  09:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still kick myself for not buying the 2012 Lim edi. Coin set.. But I didnt buy it because I am a book/album collector but I think one day a 2012 complete set of any set will be a monster value low numbers and lets be honest a lot of the 2012 sets were cracked and placed in albums or book or what not. And they didnt have the mint numbers to keep those values down. The 2012 half dollar lens the Presidential dollar lens those will probably fetch a decent premium. The quarters on the other hand not so much but of course my opinion. My LCS tell me to stay away from the 2012 silver proof set and they believe the price will crash and the "shortage is due to hoarding" similiar to the 1999 silver proof set. That being said.. I stay away from them other then my 2012 silver proof set album coins.
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Master Shake to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree that after a while the value will fall off on these. Just look at what happened last year with the Silver Eagle set. There was an initial premium on them after the mint stopped making them but now it sells for all of 40 dollars over the original price. Even graded 70 sets can be had for $300 which when you figure between the set itself, grading, shipping and insurance cost well in excess of $200 there isn't much of a premium. The 1999 Silver Proof set is a great example. These used to sell for $300 to as much as $350 in their peak and now can be grabbed for $50 all day long. Having said all that, the mintage is more limited on these but there will always be plenty of people looking to sell and eventually something else will come along and the hype will die on these.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Master Shake...where are you buying 1999 Silver Proof sets ...for $50 all day long? Looking at sold sets on eBay that number is actually closer to $100.

I did buy the 2012 Special Silver set and like it quite a bit. There is a lot of talk about the fact you could buy all the coins elsewhere - silver proof sets... single burnished eagle etc.. but I liked the idea of having the silver all in a single package. Yes - it is and was over priced.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup, mintage is more limited. The 1999 silver proof set had over 804,000 made. The 2012 had 395,443 and includes the lowest mintage for a silver Kennedy half ever. It is presently the key date of this series.

BTW there were a few 1999 sets sold on eBay Monday. They all got right around $100 ($99-108.70) Issue price was $32
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's another key coin in that silver PF set: Roosevelt dime.
So beside the Kennedy half and Roosevelt dime PF coins, all other coins can be had else where.

I do agree that it's a nice packaging. Last year we did have a a great debate over the 'inflated' price just for the packaging.

Btw, Foxwoods: Does the 395,443 mintage (silver proof set) included the 50K of the Special set? Otherwise, the number will be a little higher; still lowest mintage though.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3787 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yup7676 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this first set in 2012.

I LOVE IT!. Here's why

1- presentation. It has a nice thick synthetic flap that you flip open to display the set. All the coins in the set stick out, especially the proof silver eagle.

2- This is NOT some thin cardboard box deal. IF the whole package/presentation doesn't weigh 2-3 pounds I am surprised. Its heavy.

3- Its a great way to mix in various offerings from the Mint without buying all their coin sets.

If you missed out on last years, get this years set, even if you already have these coins. I actually like this way of getting my silver proof eagle versus just a stand out. Its just a beautiful set.

Mind you, I am not into many of the mints coins offerings so this is a nice way for me to expand my collection WITHOUT get deep into coins I Am not found of.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3566 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2014  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I absolutely LOVE it. Yes, it is a repackaging of the ASE and silver proof set. But it is an awesome repackaging! The presentation of all the silver proofs together is stunning IMO.
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2014  02:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPiggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're paying extra for a US mint case. That's it.

The ASE proof from the mint goes for $50-55 and the silver proof set goes for 55 so you're paying a pretty penny ($30-35?) for less coins and a US Mint case.

One set is like whatever, but if you're buying two or more of these sets, the cost of that extra packaging will add up. So if you're buying just one set, just treat yourself and get it.

I haven't bought one of these sets since I do no not like paying the extra money for the packaging but I haven't heard any negative things from people that have bought this product.

You will have to wonder if the packaging will be in demand down the line though.

Similar example with buying the 2013 Uncirculated ASE at 43.95 by itself or buying the 2013 Annual Dollar set at 44.95. I prefer buying the Dollar set in that instance.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2014  07:14 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Btw, Foxwoods: Does the 395,443 mintage (silver proof set) included the 50K of the Special set? Otherwise, the number will be a little higher; still lowest mintage though.

I looked everywhere including the production and sales reports from the Mint (they only go back to June, 2013) and couldn't get ANY reference to the LE PF Set as being included in that number soooooo I would assume 50k has to be added to that 395k number. As you said 445k still beats the previous low mintage by 100k or so.

2013 set is still on sale and stands at 417k without the LE set so it has gone by the 2012 in mintage numbers
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2014  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BamaBlue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pulled the trigger on a set for myself. I do sell coins (to buy other coins), but most of my coin purchases are for things that I like and not because they're investments (I have a boring old 401k for that)... It's nice to know that others have the set and appreciate it. It really caught my eye and I'm looking forward to it's arrival and addition to the collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
899 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2014  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doug58s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well...if you want the 2013 Silver sets... might want to grab this. The 2013 Silver Proof set sold out...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2014  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good pick up....it was live a couple of days ago. So 2013 will be the 2nd lowest yearly mintage (depending on the numbers for this week)419,148 as of Feb. 2nd (plus 50k for the LE set)
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 20,305Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05