Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953-S Mint Mark Touching Date LWC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2014  04:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1953-S Mint Mark Touching Date LWC

Just something I thought was interesting

I know the mint mark was put on by hand and this is not that uncommon.

Has anyone found a overlapping one? Or another touching one?

Was going through a roll noticed the mint mark was close to date on high percentage. I was hoping to find one overlaping the date. But this one was the closest it is touching the date.

Front

Back

Mint Mark Touching Date

Common approximate placement of mint mark

Edited by OcalaFlorida
03/22/2014 05:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1470 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2014  06:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It just looks weird when that happens, doesn't it? Fun find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37905 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2014  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

There is no common mint mark location. The location is under the date, to the right of the bust. That area is acceptable for location. They can be close to the date or real low. They are hand added so they will vary until 1990 when they are now part of the design of the coin. The varied locations for pre-1990 coins is a plus to help identify RPMs and doubled dies for mint mark locations. The Philly ones are harder to determine die numbers for without the mint mark locations.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
901 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2014  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add albertharris to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2014  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should of said the average placement of my data set of 200 coins.. which is a very small data set compared to original quantity.

Yeah they are fun to find.. Cool ones Albert..

I am sure no extra premium .. but I will still keep them separate..
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1953 s error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have one also
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37680 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@albertharris - Great examples, thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3454 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some close up images of E.PLURIBUS from the reverse side.
It looks like a possible DDR-001, but I can't tell for sure from what you have posted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2501 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2017  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not uncommon, but freaky looking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
530 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2018  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently found this one... But not overlap!

Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JC Stevens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the PDS System they are called II-C-16 Displaced Mintmark (touching another design element).

Found also on the 1954S Lincoln Cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5997 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a lot of wheat cents to go through and hope I can find at least one of these. Very cool looking coins.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05