Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fifty Cent Millennium Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 4,831Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  05:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Someone is selling a 2000 Millennium fifty cent coin on eBay calling it a "large letter" variation. Can anyone shed any light on this. I have not heard of a large letter variety.
I searched all 50 of the Millennium coins in my collection and could not detect any variation in the size of the letters letters. in the word 'millennium'
Pillar of the Community
Australia
701 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope...have you a link,i can't find listing.
Valued Member
Australia
236 Posts
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5289 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the 2000 Millennium coins have doubling in the letters of 'Millennium', making them look quite fat, to the extent that someone named them 'candleabra'.

I'll see if I can find some images tomorrow, in the meantime here is a link to the one on eBay. Item 171296051907
life is a mystery to be lived not a problem to be solved
Valued Member
Australia
236 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well that didn't work too well.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am unfamiliar with the variety, but it appears as if the lettering has been re cut.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen some before with varying degrees of thickness, I think it is just Die Deterioration.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5289 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have seen some before with varying degrees of thickness, I think it is just Die Deterioration.
I did keep all the really 'thick' ones I found, but there's no way they're worth $40, maybe $4 for one in really good nick. The sellers of the 2 that are listed now might as well be whistling 'Dixie'.

Here's the 'old' thread for anyone that's interested.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...IC_ID=153746
Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2014  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. I know what to look for now. Went back through my 50 coins. No luck. Add to my list of "still to noodle"
20 cents bubble
50 cents bubble
50 cents incused
Happy noodling
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  01:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for reviving an old thread but today is the first time I ever checked for this error or variety or whatever it is. Checked 18 coins and found one.

Coin on the left is normal. Coin on the right has "fat" I, U and M in MILLENNIUM.

Valued Member
Australia
401 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 8 of the "fat letter" millenniums. I think it is a variation and not just a Die Deterioration.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
19252 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, the RAM can strike up 200,000 coins off a pair of dies with an individual die variation.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5289 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2021  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are scads of Aussie 50c Coins that have ben produced from worn dies, to name a few:

Australian 50c Coins with Worn Die features
1998 Bass & Flinders, 1999, 2000 Millennium, 2001 CoF, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011

There would be others that slipped my notice as well as other denoms, as I quit noodling in 2011 so can't really comment on later years.
Valued Member
Australia
205 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  03:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MachinMachinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far found 5 out 82 millennium coins with "fat letters". Certainly not scarce like some people like to make out.

As you can see these two certainly have different degree of "fatness".

Coin on the right has fatter "NNIUM Y" and noticable doubling around the R and that dot thingy.

Do you think it is the same die but with more deterioration or two different dies?

Formerly nancyc
Australia
5289 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2021  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you think it is the same die but with more deterioration or two different dies?
Too hard to tell the difference without there being known die markers, but if I had to guess I'd say same die, just with more deterioration.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 4,831Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: