Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hmmm, What Should I Do?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  5:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add david29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won two lots of silver dimes this past week on a popular auction site, Not eBay. The two lots contained the same amount of dimes in each lot. I paid more than what they were worth bullion-wise , but I needed them for someone and they wouldn't mind the price. Well they came today in the mail. As always everything was packaged great and going well. I always count any 90% I buy, no matter the size of the lot, just to make sure it is there. Usually I stack dimes in piles of 10 to count, well in my first pinch of coins, I discover a clad and was like oh crap. In all, the first lot contains 5 clad dimes all dated 1965-69. The second lot turned out the exact same, 5 clad dimes dated 1965-69. Is the person who consigned these lots discretely seeding clad into his things hoping someone doesn't check or is this just an honest mistake. I assume both lots were from the same person and resulted in $1.00 face in clad being sold for $15.09. I usually don't like to stir the pot so to say but should I email the site and explain the situation. The loss is roughly only 1.70% of the purchase price, not including shipping. I don't want to be out $17 but I don't want to be a thorn in someones side either. The site is great and I have made a few purchases in the past. What should I do?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that you should try to get your money back, or try to get them to swap out the clad ones for the sliver ones you thought you were buying.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5417 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zxcccxz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send them back and get them replaced or get a full refund. It was their fault so get them to reimburse shipping too. You have a viable reason, after all they sent you something different from what they promised.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tampabaygrampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Notify them that you want what you paid for. If you were getting them for less than bullion price or it was a really great deal I wouldn't complain. You paid fair market value, get what you paid for. That's just me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1281 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chute72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Failure to take action will encourage their bad behavior. IMHO
Pillar of the Community
United States
7529 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What site and do they have protection in place like eBay does ? Did you use PayPal ?
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4600 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did not get what you paid for..... THAT is the bottom line.

It could be an honest mistake but I kinda doubt it with both rolls "short".

Contact the Seller and ask them to make it right.

Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add david29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought them off Great Collections. All the dealings I have had before were A++++++ with them. I like buying from them and they seem to keep getting better coins week after week. I will shoot them a email and tell them what is going on.
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Historyfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just imagine if they did the same thing to possibly hundreds or thousands of others that they did to you, how that could add up to an awful lot of money in their pockets.
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add david29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think 99% of the stuff they sell is consigned to them. They may have just took someones word that all the dimes were silver.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18443 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You've got nothing to loose by complaining. More than likely that is the way they purchased them. Same thing banks are faced with more and more with short rolls.
just carl
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add excist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely ask them to replace the dimes or refund the difference. I agree with westernsky, You did not get what you paid for. It may be an honest mistake but it was not your mistake to pay for. I hope all turns out well.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought some bulk dimes at my LCS and the same thing happened. I never went back, because there was no way to prove it. I didn't go through them until I got home, due to not having my loop with me and my eyes are to bad to read dates without it. I just figured, lessen learned and check out my purchase before I leave the store next time. I understand that a mail order is different. I would probably call them up and explain the situation. Be polite and honest, if they don't believe you take your future business elsewhere.
Valued Member
United States
432 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2014  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add david29 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received an email back from Great Collections. They said that they are sending 10 silver dimes to replace the clads. I told them I would be happy with 9 silvers if I am keeping the clads, but he said to keep the clad and the 10 silvers are already in route to you. A great company to do business with. Very happy with the outcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4797 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2014  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good news David! What condition are the clads in? Just a possibility, but I've found rolls of silver where there were a few clads mixed in. The clads were AU or better suggesting that the rolls were fashioned post 1965 and some shiny clads got mixed in. Luckily these rolls (quarters) were purchased at face value and not for a premium otherwise, I might have had the concerns you did.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05