Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Any Reason To Keep This 1982 Lincoln Cent?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:09 pm Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got a few shiny new cents in change today and I assumed they were all shield cents. I was surprised when one of them turned out to actually be from 1982! I don't collect modern cents, but I know people talk about 1982 being the year they switched over from copper to zinc.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how you can tell whether a 1982 cent is copper or zinc and whether there's any reason to keep this one in the condition it is in:

[Hmmmm... Now that I have taken a close-up shot, I notice some odd patches that are not visible to the naked eye (well, not mine at least). Could that be zinc rot?]

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3388 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can weigh it - if it is around 2.5g, it is zinc; 3.1g copper.

It could be zinc rot. I would keep it though personally and stick it in a 2x2.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gas bubbling. But one test is the drop test if it has a loud ping to it, it's copper, and if it duds it's zinc, but yours is most certainly zinc, and a large date. I enjoy them, but I never keep them. You can do whatever you find fitting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Annnnnnd...

It weighs in at exactly 2.5 grams. Ah well.

Still, an unexpected surprise to see a 32-year-old coin this bright and shiny!

Thanks for the info.

(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely a thud and not a ping, btw.
Edited by barryg
08/25/2014 8:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are super common in this condition. I see these all the time in cent roll hunting. Spender.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concur ... 1982 zincoln large date with the gas bubbles that plagued the series in the early years of zinc cents.

Nicer coin ... but common in this state.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All right, you've convinced me! I'll go spend it. Or give it a burial at sea to prevent anybody else from being fooled by its seductive orange luster..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16115 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely zinc, you can see the bubbles in the plating. Looks to be 64-65, worth saving to make a nice BU roll. Personally, I can't bring myself to toss a 30+ year old mint state coin back into circulation - worth saving IMO.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DCM Coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd save it. Gas bubbling, I don't think, is all that rare, but to have a nice pristine piece with it to keep as an example would be (for me anyway) fun to have.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
837 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DaytR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
an unexpected surprise to see a 32-year-old coin this bright and shiny!

Quote:
its seductive orange luster

Those are the precise reasons its worth saving , I think in years to come early 80`s zincolns in good condition will be hard to find and will subsequently become much sought after......keep it even if its just for its novelty value
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All right, all right... Rather than giving it a burial at sea, I have instead entombed it within a spare 19mm Lighthouse capsule I had lying around so it can be preserved for future generations. Who knows, in a thousand years, even it may be worth something!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Who knows, in a thousand years, even it may be worth something!

This made me think of Raiders of the Lost Ark lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm... According to Numismedia, a 1982 Lincoln Cent in RD MS65 is worth $10.80. Maybe it's worth hanging onto after all? Gee, I wonder if I should send it in for grading...

Quote:
This made me think of Raiders of the Lost Ark lol.

Well, it was nearly a direct quote. I was hoping somebody would catch it...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barry I would also keep it, but as far as sending it into any TPG for grading I don't know about that. At the present time expenses would bury any added value. I'd just keep it, enjoy it, and if at a later time the value went up to $20 I just might consider getting it graded.

It's just too nice a coin to return to the wild and be beat up by unknowing and uncaring people. In your hands it would be safe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4742 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2014  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really was just kidding about sending it in for grading, I promise!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05