Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

David Gee What Did He Really Copy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1041 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2014  9:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add shanew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to remove YELLING from the subject ***

david gee well I have read all the stories and collected lots of what he had made but wow HE SHORE GETS BLAMED FOR so many fakes ...... he was good but just didn't do that many of what he is given credit for I don't feel last status auction he had about 50 trials all to david gee ..... don't think so imo I have seen over 50 trials in the last year to david he only copied the most famouse coins I feel or that's what the die makers told to police and he was found with not 100s of trials And some were real and taken from the mint master and his mate he has free reign at the mint from what I read so could some be real and not copies any thing in lead or off metal seem to be blamed on him WELL HE IS DEAD AND WE WILL NEVER NO
Pillar of the Community
Australia
699 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shane.
Bob Roberts was the expert witness against David Gee. He told me once that Gee's wife used to be his (Bob's) dance partner and was very ladylike. Bob said she swore blue murder at him outside the court house in a very unladylike way.
Did you see the David Gee halfpenny on eBay the other day? Item number 261608524030
Valued Member
Australia
163 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  04:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rbarat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know what coin that buyer would have received as that photo was from the IAG auction.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15779 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a coin off David Gee, way back in 1967.
THEN, nobody knew of his dark reputation.
It was an Adelaide Pound.

When I attempted to sell it eight years later, I said that the coin WAS indeed bought off Gee.

By that time, and with his dark reputation well established, my coin REALLY set off the alarm bells!

I sent my coin to the Royal Australian Mint for an expert opinion.
RELEIF! They considered my coin to be authentic, and the intending buyer proceeded with his purchase.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1041 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shanew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I do believe most of his coins were real and made from the exact dies they should be called re strikes and not fakes as most would have been made with the mint dies ...... he was just smart enough to get access to the mint through the mint master and some made with remade dies or copies
lucky sel 691 you would have been relived
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1041 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shanew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am working on putting together his collection as I think in history it will be a
great history piece but to work out what is his work would anyone have a inventory of what was found in the maintenance mans shed years after he was arrested
Pillar of the Community
Australia
699 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shane, if a coin is struck with legitimate dies that have been taken from the mint by outsiders then should they be called restrikes or fakes?
The 42-43I restrikes were at least done by the mint with mint officials authority (even though not with Commonwealth authorization), same with the restrikes done in Sydney in 1926 by Le Souef. Gee had absolutely no authority and his accomplice in the mint was knowingly breaking the law.
That makes them not legal tender and therefore effectively fake.
Mind you I'd love to have a genuine David Gee fake, that is why I put in a bid on that halfpenny. Guess I'm lucky not to win because if rbarat is correct I might not have got the genuine Gee fake (maybe got a fake of the fake).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1041 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shanew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fake of a fake .. and then faked by the Chinese fakers..
Pillar of the Community
Australia
574 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He certainly has a reputation but if scuttlebutt can be believed he had a wide range of accomplices.A bit more Info. here as he also caused chaos in the Stamp World in Oz.

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopi...f=21&t=44481
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1041 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2014  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shanew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mate this bloke gee will finish up bigger then ned Kelly
Australia
2 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flashlee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a suspected gold Taylor forgery, is there a catalog of David Gee forgeries which was photograph for his court case.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
574 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a suspected gold Taylor forgery, is there a catalog of David Gee forgeries which was photograph for his court case.

There was a guy on the Oz. Coin Forum(may have been the old one though) that had lots of Info. on Gee and had something to do with the Book that was written on him.
Probably best to post there if no one can help on here.
Edited by Basil
08/10/2019 8:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1383 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was an auction recently (in the last couple of years) with a lot of stuff supposedly done by him - I don't remember when or which company exactly but throughout the catalogue he was described as Australia's most notorious forger or something like that.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15779 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a two coins from that auction.
The auctioneer was I.S. Wright in Sydney.
Both coins that I bought were accurately described as works commissioned by David Gee.

1. 1887 Double sovereign in sterling silver, Sydney Mint. St George Reverse. No patterns or trials of the genuine coin in silver exist, so my coin must be a fantasy forgery. Only the eye detail of the Jubilee Head of Queen Victoria betrays this coin. The rest is impossible to pick differences from genuine dies.

2. 1993 Double sovereign in sterling silver, St. George reverse. Blank obverse, with incuse counter stamp 'MODEL'
Again, no genuine trials or patterns in silver exist, so this coin is also a fantasy forgery. Absolutely perfect reverse, probably struck off genuine (known to be a genuine die, stolen by David Gee for this coin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05