Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Thoughts On Coin Chronicle Set Mintage Limits

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,950Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2015  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mint marketing department is clueless, incompetent and negligent with the mintage limits. 50,000-70,000 with initial HH limit of 2-3 would have been ideal. They were idiots to base the demand on the FDR set because the FDR set offered no new coin. On the other hand, the Enhanced SAC from last December had a mintage of 50,000, sold out very quickly and offered something new. The MOD dime set had a mintage of 70,000 and sold out after a week or two. Why? Because it offered something new. Most people weren't buying the set for the packaging or the dollar!

As they say in the legal world, the mint knew or should have known that 17,000 would be way too low for a coin with a "new" finish. The mint can't honestly think that if they had included a RP Pres. Dollar in the FDR Set that the sets would still be available months later. The fact is the best and brightest marketers probably don't work for the US govt. Why are we surprised here? Look at the IRS, the Obamacare enrollment website and the Veteran's Administration.
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2015  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i no everyone want one,two or more set and many are missing out on these,i don't no much about coins but do you guys think that these c&c set all should stay at 17k would that make all the raw sets more valuable then any other sets out there.would that mean every set the mint make would be key date?
From Truman to the end of c&c,a full set of raw rp with 17k low mintage would that be better then the mint doing 25k and up,the one with high mintage would their value drop? just question trying to learn hope I'm asking correct.thanks
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bassmaster_3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not think they should stay at 17K for several reasons. First, it is just bad business for the mint because there is obvious demand, which means they are leaving money on the table. Second, they are frustrating their customer base and risk losing long term customers. Third, the ultimate long term value is a function of supply and demand. Just because there is a low supply, doesn't mean there will be a high demand. If they kept the mintages at 17K then they might frustrate out of the market a lot of would be collectors of the set. By the same token, making more sets than what is needed to supply the present demand only devalues the sets because it lets dealers sit on inventories. The sweet spot is probably between 30K-60K. That is enough to satisfy the present collector demand without allowing for dealers to flood inventory. Then in a few years when new collectors enter the market they will have to pay an increase over the original purchase cost to buy the sets, but not some ridiculous amount. It is basic economics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5259 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  12:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint is between a rock and a hard place. Balancing demand with production is a difficult tightrope to walk. You make too much of a product it sits in inventory unwanted and you have metal, labor, packaging and storage all tied up in it. You make too little product and you have angry customers that missed out. I'd rather miss sales and deal with angry customers than deal with stagnat, unwanted product. That's business.
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they made too much they could always melt it down for new coins.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16630 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You make too much of a product it sits in inventory unwanted and you have metal, labor, packaging and storage all tied up in it.

They also have angry customers because the value crashes in the aftermarket because everyone who wants one has it.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PennyPiggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its creating interest/buzz in the hobby, I like it. I don't want them to change a thing with mintage and HH limits with the Chronicles Sets. The Mint is doing this intentionally and its wonderful. The dates and prices are told to everyone with plenty of time to make plans to acquire sets.
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They also have angry customers because the value crashes in the aftermarket

What makes you say this? Truman's still sell for over $200 for a raw set that cost $60. That doesn't seem like a crashed market to me or am I misunderstanding?
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add corey151302 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CSOTUS, I think he is referring to the case where there is no mintage limit, unlike the C & C sets. When there is no mintage limit, everyone who wants one can have one and then it crashes in the aftermarket. This is the opposite case with the Truman because of the 17,000 mintage limit.
Valued Member
United States
210 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what I was thinking like next year when they start the 2016 c&c set the 25 and 50k won't be worth anything because most will probably forget about them,they not like the High Relief Coin or the Jacqueline Kennedy correct,not saying they gold but what behind the coin that people will pay a big premium for.this statement just a thought just trying to learn what to buy and not to buy if I'm asking this correct.thanks
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I read how many here want the RP coin and are totally ignoring the actual package they are getting - the Ike medal to me was worth the purchase price. (altho I wish they would have included the bronze medal as well)
Agreed. I love the sets and would still purchase them if the mintage were unlimited (as I did with Teddy and FDR). I certainly agree with the missing bronze medal, I wish they would have included one like they did with Teddy and FDR.

Quote:
What makes you say this? Truman's still sell for over $200 for a raw set that cost $60. That doesn't seem like a crashed market to me or am I misunderstanding?
You are misunderstanding. This is in reference to having a higher or unlimited mintage.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5259 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Csotus......

If you melt the metal down to make new product then what do you do with the packaging? Yeah, you can recover some of the money in the metals, but the packaging and labor costs are 99%+ not recoverable. Recycled cardboard and paper don't bring much and paying people to disassemble finished packaged product isn't cost effective either.

This is what happens when you have unlimited product mintages. It sits in a warehouse unsold with sold product being sold below costs in the aftermarket.

The solution is strike to order with order time limits. The problem with this is everybody wants product NOW and don't want to wait months for delivery. You can't please everybody. Coins and packaging all have lead times, too.

I like the way the system is now. Mintage and household limits with reasonable delivery timeframes. That works for me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the biggest problem right now is the guy on HSN and his network of shill buyers. He claims to have over half of the Truman RP dollars. If that's even close to true (I know he's a big exaggerator), he's clearly circumventing the intent of the household limits (which is to ensure fair and equitable distribution to collectors). The fact that he's doing it so openly and obviously making money only encourages others. Until the mint cracks down on him and other dealers doing the same, the situation almost can't get better. I really don't know how they can do so when there's no law against shill buying that I know of. Unethical doesn't equal illegal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OldSkoolMadSkilz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Mint is doing this intentionally and its wonderful.
You are giving the mint way to much credit. This is closer to when your 5 year old gets a hole in one at miniature golf.

Quote:
I think the biggest problem right now is the guy on HSN and his network of shill buyers.
HSN's buyers picked up all their stock on the secondary market. It's MCM that "hired" the shills.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2015  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
HSN's buyers picked up all their stock on the secondary market. It's MCM that "hired" the shills.

Then I stand corrected. Thank you.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 3,950Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05