Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Find

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  06:29 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Koren55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We just put my Mom in Assisted living and while going through the house I discovered a packet of Canadian currency. II'm not sure where it came from but Ido know my grandparents went to Niagara Falls in 1938 for their honeymoon, and again a number of years later.

It totaled $127 Canadian, as follows:
$20 1937
$10 8 1937 issue, 2 from 1954
$5 1 from 1937 in poor shape
$2 five from 37 most crisp no folds
$1 six of these four look like they'reright from the bank, with two have cconsecutive numbers, and a third has one after (like 1, 2, & 4).

My question, should I send the best bills to be graded, esp the consecutive ones? And who do you all recommend for grading CCanadiancurrency? TThere's a show in early November in Baltimore. One of the US companies will be there.

Anything else I should look out for?

And no, these aren'tfor sale until iI do more research as for grading and all. The worn bills will go first, but the crispbills iI want graded. Do you all agree that's my best option.

One thing does strike me odd is that why this money was hidden for so long. Mom doesn'tknow either

Korian
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32635 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The first thing I would do is put each one in a holder,you can buy them at most coin shops. Be careful not to damage the corners when putting them in the sleeves. You may like this http://coinsandcanada.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
09/27/2015 07:44 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4206 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Debrajc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and if you have a local coin store I would take them there for a free evaluation, or post some pictures here. I am not that familiar with Canadian Currency but before you spend the $'s to get them graded you need to know if the value would be worth the expense. Good Luck!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

IMO most if not all your notes are not worth the cost
of getting them graded. The cost of grading will be
in the $50 range, for each note.

As others have said, try and check out local coin shops
for pricing. Also you can do dome searching on eBay or
other online sites to see what other notes like yours are
selling at.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8063 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice find.
Some can be quite valuable depending on condition.
There are certain signatures and prefixes that are worth more than others so this has to be considered also.
If any of the 1954 series are the "Devil Face" variety, they could be worth a premium.
If you could submit some pictures, there are many on this forum who could help determine some sort of evaluation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2178 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you could provide us some pictures I'm sure we can help you out determining the value.
41 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dirt Detector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4476 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 37's are always worth something in unc. condition, throw up some pics.
Valued Member
Canada
279 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gord to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they arte clean and crisp...wow !! nice find
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my two cents:

1) If you're not considering selling these why would you have them graded? You're just spending money. If you're keeping these for your own collection then just keep them the same way you preserve your other notes. If you don't have any other notes.. first put them in currency holders... then in a plastic sheet that can go in a binder and you're good.

2) If you want more information on the notes themselves take some time and either post some pictures or scans of the notes with serial numbers and signatures there's more information other members can provide.

3) If you're going to go ahead and get these notes graded I would with either PCGS they also do currency or PMG.

4) As for entertaining offers for the bills I would recommend you get your post count up.. forum rules state you can't put anything up for buy/sell/trade until you've got enough quality posts...
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Take your time with these.

You can post a pic of each note - both sides - and get an opinion on each and every one of them.

There is very little chance that you have anything of really great value -- although you just might.

Consider keeping the collecion as it is -- there may be a collector in your family someday who might really appreciate having something that's been in the family.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2015  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest at least a list of the serial numbers and from that we can determine the signature combination.
There're some rarer notes from 1937 and 1954 but most are quite common and a common one wouldn't require the grading.

Cheers, Bill
Learn More...
Canada
8924 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2015  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My question, should I send the best bills to be graded, esp the consecutive ones?

What a great time capsule from the past!! Good currency holders should be fine if you intend to keep these. If I was in your shoes, I would just do as AgCoinAu recommended, and have some fantastic mementos from your grandparent's travels to Niagara Falls...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
435 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2015  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow!

Lucky you!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05