Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint 100th Anniversary

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 3,664Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  07:35 am Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:

United States Mint Moves Forward with Plans to Commemorate 100th Anniversary of Three Iconic Coin Designs

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint announced today that it will strike and issue coins to commemorate the 100th anniversary of three iconic coin designs first issued in 1916: the "Winged Liberty" dime, "Standing Liberty" quarter, and "Walking Liberty" half-dollar. All three coins will be manufactured from .9999 fine, 24-karat gold.

To approximate the 1916 coin dimensions, the "Winged Liberty" dime will contain one-tenth troy ounce of 24-karat gold, the Standing Liberty quarter will contain one-quarter troy ounce of 24-karat gold, and the Walking Liberty half-dollar will contain one-half troy ounce of 24-karat gold.

The "Winged Liberty" dime, designed by Adolph A. Weinman, features a portrait of Liberty facing left and wearing a winged cap on its obverse (heads side). The design became known as the Mercury dime because of its resemblance to the Roman god, Mercury. The coin's reverse (tails side) includes a Roman fasces and an olive branch, representing America's military readiness and, simultaneously, its desire for peace. Additional inscriptions to the originals will include "AU" (the symbol for gold), "24K," and "1/10 OZ."

The Standing Liberty quarter, designed by Hermon A. MacNeil, depicts Liberty on its obverse. She is holding a shield and an olive branch as she steps through an opening in a wall bearing 13 stars. The reverse shows an eagle in flight flanked by 13 stars. Additional inscriptions to the originals will include "AU,' "24K," and "1/4 OZ."

The Walking Liberty half-dollar, also designed by Weinman, portrays Liberty on its obverse as she strides toward the sunrise, carrying branches of laurel and oak in her arms to symbolize both civil and military glory. Liberty wears a Phrygian cap on her head and an armored plate on her chest over her gown, with the American flag behind her. The reverse features an eagle rising from its mountaintop perch. Additional inscriptions to the originals will include "AU," "24K," and "1/2 OZ."

Details about mintage levels, on-sale dates, and pricing will be announced next year.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm in for sure. No mention of 999 silver editions too though...
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  08:13 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver would be perfect but I believe that would need Congressional approval...but...there might be time for that depending on when the sets will be offered
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teo2015 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silver would look to much like the originals.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have liked to see the silver versions as well, but others argue that if you want silver versions they are already out there, just have to buy 100 year old coins or the same versions of the coins can be purchased in a high mint state during the years they were originally minted. The only problem is the cost of buying such a coin in mint state condition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 1916 Standing Liberty quarter values $15,000 - $35,000....I think I will pick up the gold version This set will be on my want list next year for sure. But yes, it would be nice if the mint would offer it in silver as well. I would get one of each.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
others argue that if you want silver versions they are already out there, just have to buy 100 year old coins or the same versions of the coins can be purchased in a high mint state during the years they were originally minted.

Well...the date would be unique, most likely the Mint mark would be different, the composition would be different, and the mintage would be significantly lower....but other than that, yes, the same coin

(think: Kennedy half)
Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/11/2015 10:36 am
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to have these, but I am almost certain they will be priced out of my budget.

Silver would be nice. The 2016 date would be something to see on these classic coin designs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know the prices haven't been posted, but I already KNOW they are out of my budget!
Pillar of the Community
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it'll be out of my price range, too! Silver would be nice, though. Same design, mint state, with a 2016 date? Awesome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will these be proof or MS or both?
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably both, I would think. Double the choices, double the sales potential.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elsewhere I had commented if collectors wanted silver (proofs), implore the Mint to exercise the 25-year design rule and temporarily replace the circulating dime, quarter, and NIFC half dollar for 2 months and mint the 100 year old designs in CLAD, what the Canadians do with circulating commems. That way the silver proof set would have three more silver coins and make most collectors happy with an affordable keepsake and inspire new collectors from the general public with these vastly different looking circulating coins from another era. Alas a missed opportunity as the US Mint keeps preaching to the choir of existing deep pocketed collectors, instead of inspiring a new generation of collectors. Too bad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Atlas642 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they go with both uncirculated and proof versions, a six-coin set is going to run around $2,300 to $2,500, going off of 2015 proof gold Eagle pricing.

I've got my fingers crossed for just uncirculated coins, but that just might not be the case.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also like to see the coins in silver, preferably coin silver to keep in the spirit of the original coins. Then, there would be the slim chance of someone noticing what looked like a dime or a quarter and spending it, which would be nice for us roll hunters.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2015  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Foxwoods - I guess what I was trying to say is that other people are saying if you want to buy a silver Mercury dime, Standing Liberty quarter, or Walking Liberty half they can be bought in a MS version. They can be any date or mint mark during the series for these coins. I'm not saying this, just what I have seen of other comments about people wanting these coins in silver.

Myself, I would like to see both silver and gold versions for 2016, but I doubt it will happen.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 3,664Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05