Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Encased Ten Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2015  4:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I was just wondering if anyone else has come across something like this.

Cheers, Bill

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2015  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is an encased dime that was irradiated at Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee, one of the primary sites for the Manhattan Project during WWII. After the war, the American Museum of Atomic Energy was opened to the public and the dimes were sold as souvenirs.
Learn More...
United States
84060 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
767 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2015  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thanks for the info from both you.
Much appreciated.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2015  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat dime and neat story. I kind of want one now.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16321 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2015  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen these with two or three different inserts around the dime. I'm not sure if I have seen this one before.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1119 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2015  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steele to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These go on eBay for about $15. they are pretty cool and an interesting way to look at nuclear history.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4871 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2015  02:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, Roosevelt dimes usually go for $15-20 and Mercury dimes I've seen do $30-40+
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2464 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2015  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a little off topic but if you are interested in the Manhattan project this is a very entertaining lecture by R P Feynman, it is audio only but well worth a listen.

hTRVlUT665U

Would that coin be radio-active? They used to love carcinogenic products back then...

*** Edited by Staff to add YouTube tags. [youtube][/youtube] Please use them in the future. We prefer embedded video. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16321 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2015  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It WAS radioactive for a brief time. The half life was so short that by now it is not.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2015  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The radioactivity doesn't disappear altogether, but it gets exponentially smaller very quickly (it halves every 22 seconds, was it?). Even just a little while after it was irradiated, it was practically not radioactive.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16321 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2015  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
True. If the entire 2.5 grams of the coin had been completely turned into Ag 110 by the neutron bombardment (and in reality only a tiny amount was) after just 1 hour only 2.13 X10^-49 grams would be left. That's a decimal point followed by 49 zeros then 213. That's just 163 half lives. This coin is possibly over 800K half lives old.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05