Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 'Blackened' Jefferson CRH Project

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 5,948Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6825 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  3:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm hopeful that my fellow CCF coin roll hunters can appreciate this thread ... my admittedly off-beat pursuit of the Jefferson nickel series in what I'm calling 'blackened' surface state.

Background ... I'm a long time nickel CRH fan (hence my forum name) and somewhere in my journey started to put aside the very dark coins that I came across ... long term nickel CRH know these coins and see them as well on occasion.

I've completed the Jefferson series 1938-2015 from local bank rolls ... and am short only the 1938-S for my 2nd CRH set ... so this holiday break inspired me to pull out all those 'blackened' Jefferson and see if I can make a set of them as well.

I am unsure what causes the dark surface toning on these coins ... suppose some were ground finds but I tended to return any coins with corrosion.

The best exhibit a lovely circulation cameo with dark fields and circulation worn devices ... such as this example (never thought I would show a 1964 dated Jefferson)

1964 Jefferson - Blackened

I have a blackened key-date as well ....

1939-D Jefferson - Blackened

To my amazement I have one as well as recent as two years ago ... causing me to believe some environmental influence other than ground is the cause for the surface changes:

2013-P Jefferson - Blackened w/ Color

Sooo ... to the set ...

I sorted my 370 blackened Jefferson into decades so far ...

1930's -2
1940's -18
1950's -13
1960's -81
1970's -80
1980's -94
1990's -59
2000's -21
2010+ -3

Purchased a used Jefferson Dansco 7113 from my local dealer and will expand the decade sort to year and coin.

I've never seen a War Silver nickel change state to 'blackened' ... they become a lovely gun metal gray ... so IMHO the blackened set comprises all Jefferson without those 11 coins.

Crazy idea?

Maybe ... but for CRH fans it is a fun extension of the joy of searching and simply another way to keep the joy of collecting alive.

Update to come when I get the initial sort completed.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Rest in Peace
United States
7075 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Crazy idea?

Maybe ... but for CRH fans it is a fun extension of the joy of searching and simply another way to keep the joy of collecting alive.

Go for it! And good luck, I'm pulling for you!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What wonderful discoveries you've found. The cameo appearance of the dark fields and light elements of the design do make for a neat appearance. I enjoyed your show!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4209 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2015  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's way cool! I wrote here about 5 yrs. ago, about doing the same thing. I also have a cheap Whitman to hold those that are painted/felt-tip/ crayon etc. After working on so many sets, you tend to need a distraction.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2015  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nickelitus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nickel- And I thought I was the only one to set aside the Blackies and crazy colors. I also was planning on trying to make up a set some day. Will dig out and see if I can get a picture.

I have one stop where I get customer rolls where there is always a couple full rolls with weird colors and surfaces. The best I can come up with is a Wishing Well? Very similar look to your newer 2013 coin photo.
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started a set like this a couple months back. Hadn't considered the War Nickel dilemma but maybe interestingly toned specimens for those.

I doubt we are alone though. I see many black beauties posted here I wish I had!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6825 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind replies ... perhaps this is not such a goofy project after all.

I'm through the 30's, 40's and 50's with lots of holes in the Dansco. Currently sorting the 60's into year ... then coin selection.

Long term nickel CRH fans will understand what is going on in the following photo:

1964 Abundance

Arrrg ... even in blackened state the 1964 Jefferson are haunting me.

I did come across this lovely circulation cameo 1962-D example:

1962-D Jefferson - Blackened with cameo

I'll get through the 60's, then show photos of the Dansco progress so far.

David
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! Best of luck on the project. I think it'll turn out terrific!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6825 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update ... then off to the local holiday party.

The sort and coin selection is complete through the 1970's ... I have 46 of the 84 coins 1938-1979 needed for the set ... mindful that I'm not including the 11 war silver nickels.

Many holes in the early years ... the 60's and 70's helped me out indeed!

Dansco photos ...(so far)

Dansco Page 1 ... 1938 - 1949:

My only blackened key date is the 1939-D ... the 1947 is badly corroded but my only example. Lots of holes indeed.

Dansco Page 2 ... 1949-D - 1964:

Lots of holes in the 50's. The 1952 (Philly) coin is a wonderful circulation cameo example. The 1960's are starting to help me out.

Dansco Page 3 ... 1964-D through 1979-D:

Now we are talking about some progress! If anyone can consider 'blackened' Jefferson as lovely ... there are many lovely coins here.

Almost all of the duplicates are being returned to the wild ... though I've set aside so far 9 coins which might be of interest to some other CCF member attempting this idea.

Perhaps I'll spin up a giveaway once I'm done with the sort/selection.

Enjoy - David
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it David! An idea realized!

Enjoy the party!

Kevin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4914 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's awesome! Maybe I should do that, with damaged nickels! Haha!

Can't wait to see the progression.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17074 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2015  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To make jet black coins, just heat them to near red hot, and plunge them into water.
If you wish, you can blacken ALL of the coins you wish to balcken, in one easy go!
Sometimes I do this and put them back into circulation, just to confuse and arouse the curiousity in people.

Perhaps the arousal of curiousity may the the trigger for them to take an interest in numismatics.
Edited by sel_69l
12/27/2015 12:28 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4244 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numisma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an excellent idea and I'm excited to see your progress!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2015  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sel - you must have an evil twin Stateside!

Drew - I considered something similar with clashed cents. You should go for it if it suits you.
Learn More...
United States
87597 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2015  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The sort and coin selection is complete through the 1970's ... I have 46 of the 84 coins 1938-1979 needed for the set ... mindful that I'm not including the 11 war silver nickels.

Many holes in the early years ... the 60's and 70's helped me out indeed!

Dansco photos ...(so far)
Off to a great start. Thank you for sharing the photos.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 5,948Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05