Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Naturally Toning Some 2015 Silver Eagles

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 5,086Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2016  8:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Titan7170 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is after about 7 weeks I wanted a few that looked toned......anyone else have a few toned silver eagles more specifically toning much longer than 2 months?

Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2016  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin_kid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you tone them yourself or did you buy them toned?
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Titan7170 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are toning on their own its been like 7 weeks I bought them new from Provident metals and they looked just like the one sealed up.....I keep them on my desk!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  12:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks nice. I'm about to start a similar experiment with a 2015 except it's going in my pocket so I'm sure I rub some of the toning off. I know it won't be blast white but I doubt it be heavy. I do have some toning in my safe since like 2000. However it was a accident with a case that had reactive cardboard in it. The center is still blast white but the edges are heavily red. It's kinda like this on.

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Titan7170 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ill post another pic in 4 weeks and see what the difference is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  07:38 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is what 6 months will get you:

Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  12:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What conditions did you have them in Foxwoods? Did you have them in an envelope car or kitchen or just on your desk?

So on a pocket piece ASE heavy toning won't occur right? It be more like a circulated silver coin as far as toning unless on was lazy and didn't carry it often?
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Titan7170 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Foxwoods those look awsome! Did you get both sides or just the front?
Edited by Titan7170
01/25/2016 12:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They were left on a computer room filing cabinet in open capsules. No external influences and the reverse is not toned
Pillar of the Community
United States
916 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the luck with toning experiments depends on where you live and in particular the climate - higher humidity = more chance of oxidation. Likewise, if you have an industrial plant close by that generates SO2 or any other kind of sulfur compound your chances of toning are higher.
It will also depend on the type of bullion you try to tone. I have a poured silver bar on my living room table and touch it maybe once a week - bought it more than a year ago and it just starts to tone, but only in the stamped areas. The poured areas are without any stain. If you do the same with a coin you will have finger prints all over it and I'm sure it'd be pitch black by now.
At the end of the day, no matter how you store your coins (unless it's climate-controlled and in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere) all silver will oxidize eventually - it's mother nature...
Edited by omxfl
01/25/2016 2:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
1153 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a time lapse of the "blizzard" that hit DC and NYC this past weekend, got me thinking it would be really interesting if someone did a time lapse of a coin toning. It would take a lot of work and time but that would definitely be interesting to see it progress.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2016  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They were left on a computer room filing cabinet in open capsules.

Holy moly. You should have your air ducts cleaned. I hope your lungs aren't toned!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2016  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it a wood filing cabinet? It would disturb me if it's only metal too?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2016  07:29 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Holy moly. You should have your air ducts cleaned. I hope your lungs aren't toned!

Ummm...news flash! Silver tones. Just give it time and it will happen ANYWHERE and has zip to do with air "quality". There are processes, gases and items that may accelerate or change the process but it WILL tone if exposed. .999 silver will tone a bit differently from other quality coins but they will also tone. I could leave an ASE on my backyard deck and it would tone...

One person's "toning" is another person's "tarnish"

...and they were left in open capsule on a standard beige four drawer metal filing cabinet.

...and if my lungs were silver plated, yes, they would be toned

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2016  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was only kidding, Foxwoods...
Edited by CelticKnot
01/26/2016 10:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4844 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2016  10:53 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 5,086Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05