Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Plan On Doing With Your Collection?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,980Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

Canada
198 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  01:35 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So we were very fortunate this spring when my wife gave birth to our first Child. Up until then I figured there would be an auction for my coin collection one day once I am gone, but happy now that passing it to our Son will be an option if he shows an interest in collecting (of course he will, right?) ha

So, my question is, what do the members of the forum here plan on doing with their collections down the road?

Will you Auction, have a succession plan, donate to charity, or something else?

Would be interested in hearing your ideas and if anyone has any unique plans
Look forward to your replies and thank you as always
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3643 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  02:31 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully, sitting in the auction room sipping a couple of cold ones. After it is all sold for far less than I knew it was worth, writing a large cheque to the SPCA . Then I can die in peace.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1358 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  04:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either I find someone or something to share my collection with during my life, or it's up to those I'll leave behind.

This is primarily my hobby, the collection mainly contains my memories and honestly, when I'm gone it's not really my problem of what will happen to it. I've made a few notes on what I think it's worth and then it's just a 'good luck and fare thee well' to whoever it may concern.

But until then I'll just continue collecting coins and have as much fun with it and other hobbies as I can!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3302 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the names of 3-4 collectors/researchers that I have given to my wife with instructions that they are to have the say where the majority goes.... for the benefit of the hobby. As an accumulator/hoarder and researcher, most of my collections don't fit the current fad parameters of slab it, put it away, and hope for 68/69 by resubmitting. But once I'm looking at the roots, rather than the green, of the grass it's all up to the wife what she actually does.
Valued Member
United States
408 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  05:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joeysanders627 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do two kinds of collecting. I collect silver legal tender coins from around the world and I do hobby coin collecting on the side. The legal tender coins are bought and sold like a stockbroker. The coins I collect as a hobby, I will pass on to my children. Hopefully, they will learn to appreciate them and not sell them off on eBay after I am gone.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37087 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My collection/hoard will go to my family when I am gone. What they do with it is up to them.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2402 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have two children and I really hope one takes an intrest - though no luck yet.
Valued Member
South Africa
331 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add teslacoil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They will be passed on to my kids if they are interested in collecting if not iI will donate them for a better cause. The only coin that will come with me is my pocket piece need to pay the piper hehehe
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will enjoy my coins until the day I die. After that, I hope my son (or his kids) appreciate them for what they are. Of course, being dead I would have no real say in the matter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4915 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHuntingDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 17, so I guess I really don't have to worry about anything, but if I do decide to have a family, wife and kids and all, I would make sure I would get rid of them and NOT pass them down. I want them to go back into the hands of collectors, not into the hands of cheapskates at the local pawn shop trying to make a quick buck off of them and then either melting them down or selling them for retail prices.

Hate to say it, but if eBay is still around in say, 60-70 years, I'll pay someone that is trusted to list them and sell them for me, and they can take the percentage that we both agree on.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14565 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tell ya , I'm up in the air on this subject . First of all I have 3 daughters who can care less about my collection / hoard other than to cash it in to use the money foolishly . 2nd of all I have 3 grandsons who show no interest in what I have , and 1 granddaughter who is only 4 years old and believe it or not likes to watch me when I work on my coins . so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she continues her fascination with coins .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My hoard is kinda eclectic to me. Might have it buried with me! Ha!
My hoard of '82s is up to 204! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 5, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 15, 1782 x 57, 1882 x 49, 1982 x 33
Pillar of the Community
United States
1505 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My son doesn't care about coins. I will have instructions in my will to consign it all to Heritage.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  2:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mister Kairu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not quite sure yet. Since my long-term goal is to have one each type of US coins (and some world crown/bullion coins as well) I hope it can be passed down through the generations until it gets to someone that enjoys coins like I do. It will not be a huge hoard when all is said and done, but who knows. If my wife tries to sell it, I am making a list and keeping track of purchases to at least give an idea of what it would be worth. But by the time I die, most likely I won't know what happens since I don't plan on selling them before I croak (barring any financial hardships that is).
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My hoard is kinda eclectic to me. Might have it buried with me! Ha!
Who says you cannot take it with you?
Pillar of the Community
United States
992 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2016  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add paxbrit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mine will be auctioned off so my cat will enjoy one white mouse every Wednesday and Sunday for as long as she lives. The proceeds should last about three or four weeks, I reckon.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,980Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05