Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Fourth Edition! We Need - 1460 C. E. (A. H. 864) -

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 312
Learn More...
United States
76103 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  4:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It is a new year and the Third Edition has hit the 1491 firewall. That means it is time for a new edition so that the newer members can get in on the easy early years.

We will start this with any coin from 2017. That is right, 2017. I wanted to make this one start with a challenge, although I am certain there are plenty of them in the pipeline even if they are NIFC.

Once the first coin is posted, we can post 2017 coins until at least midnight (forum time).

After midnight (assuming a 2017 is posted) we can post coins from 2016. Keep in mind that we can continue to post 2017 coins until someone posts a 2016.

This rule will be in effect for every year: post the current year until at least midnight. This will allow multiple people to post their coins from each year.

Once we move to the next year, there is no going back, no catching up like is allowed in Moe's "Days Of" threads.

Got it?

A summary of the rules...
1. You must own the coin.
2. You must post a photo of the actual coin you own. We do not care who took the photo. No stock photos allowed.
3. The coin can be from any country.
4. The date needs to be validated as described below:
Common era dating is preferred, but it is acceptable if the date can be converted from another calendar.
It is also acceptable if the date can be determined to the exact year from other criteria.
If it is not obvious, please inform how the date is determined (links are okay).

5. One Year Per Day! This allows for more participation. The change to the next year will occur at Midnight Forum Time (US Eastern Time)
6. We must go in order! No going back to previous years, no jumping ahead to later years.
7. One person should not create multiple posts for each year unless someone else has posted in between or you are posting coins as part of a set (like a proof set, commemorative set, etc).
8. To help page loads and scrolling, please put one coin (one or two photos) per post.

As per usual, we can handle controversies and questions as they occur. I will be counting on the veterans to help enforce rules and maintain flow.

Let the fun begin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5900 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm suppose this coin was actually made in advance (late in 2016), but it does have the 2017 date:

2017 UK 2 pounds / 1 oz silver Britannia:

I wonder if we should wait until we see a coin guaranteed to be made in 2017, before moving on to 2016? (Of course, some of the 2016 coins may have been made in 2015.)
Learn More...
United States
76103 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was fast.

Executive decision...

2016 coins need to wait until 12:01 am forum time (US Eastern Time) on Sunday, 8 January 2017. I want to give everyone who happens to have a 2017 a chance.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12706 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That was fast
35 minutes--nice work @pepactonius!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2723 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Darn... I wanted to buy and post a 2018 coin, having heard that they were already released, but apparently some bad luck with release timing (too close to the big holidays) meant that it won't actually be available until mid-January or so.
Some kind of pattern pre-release examples were supposedly selling for $8 each, and at one point I felt desperate enough to try even that, but I couldn't find any, anyway.

Can I still post a 2018 coin once I actually get one (hopefully in two weeks or so), or would it be too confusing?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry I am late to the show ...

2017 Australia Lunar series II Year of the Rooster

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5900 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  9:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Can I still post a 2018 coin once I actually get one (hopefully in two weeks or so), or would it be too confusing?

Maybe someone should start a thread for 2018-dated (and later) coins and rounds? Maybe it could be called "How Far Forward Can We Go?". I've seen 2019-dated private rounds for sale already.

Depending on the rules, the thread would need to be closed before the end of 2017.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2017  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the selectively gold-plated silver dollar from Canada's 2017 Fine Silver Proof Set. The coin is part of the Royal Canadian Mint's year-long celebration of Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my Mark Twain gold half eagle from 2016 Twain commemorative set. I think the designs were well done from an artistic as well as technical standpoint.

Edited by commems
01/08/2017 12:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5485 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  04:42 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the six different commemorative 50 pence coins issued by Great Britain in 2016: the 'Team GB' coin that supported the British team at the Rio Olympics:

Pillar of the Community
United States
5925 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  05:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wanted this three coin set the day I heard about it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set muddler

This is most likely my best 2016 dated coin.

2016 American silver eagle (bullion) Major strike through

Valued Member
Sweden
132 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpareHuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool!

I've never managed to catch one of these from the beginning. Hope to have a number of contributions.. Have it bookmarked!
Pillar of the Community
Poland
3201 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11921 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has got to be one of my favorite Canadian loonie designs out there:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2017  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Australia's first Mints Gold and Silver Proofs

Edited by trout1105
01/08/2017 12:31 pm
Page: of 312 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 6.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05