Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins From 1917!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Pillar of the Community
United States
3930 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  8:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here we are in early 2017, and it's worth remembering what the world was like a century ago. The Great War raged on, a generation being decimated on its western front in what seemed to be utter futility. It was the year that the United States came into the conflict. It was also the year that the Bolsheviks obliterated the Russian monarchy, unleashing decades of internal bloodletting that was hardly any less destructive than the war they abandoned.

So let's see your coins from that fateful year.

I'll start it off with a rather ordinary German Mark, this particular example being the most common from this year for having been minted in Berlin. It's interesting that despite the strain on her economy that the British blockade created, Germany didn't debase coinage like this; in fact, such remained .900 fine until well after the armistice.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some scrap coins from when the British pound was still sterling.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1957 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arkie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And Canada

Learn More...
United States
14155 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was the Secret Santa gift I received in 2012

1917 Standing Liberty quarter - Type1

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1611 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nineteen seventeen eh.. OK, I'll play... any excuse is a good excuse to photograph coins.

Here is a favorite from another European country that suffered greatly during that time of growing improvements in methods of mass slaughter. Coin is the size of a British penny. One of the most attractive designs ever issued, i-m-h-o.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9995 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1917 GB penny and it LOOKS wartorn:

Who knows, maybe this spent time on the front lines?
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11930 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1917 Newfoundland 25 cent

I hope a bonus coin is ok ..
1817 one reale

Pillar of the Community
United States
665 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2017  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
5925 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  02:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2234 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  03:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool thread idea. Got this one from a fellow member.

My wife's 1917 50 centimes from France

Learn More...
United States
76302 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Edited by CoinCollector2012
01/11/2017 11:02 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
2234 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a variety of 1917 coins so far. Can't wait to what else will show up here.

@AcesKings Love that SLQ.
Edited by MontCollector
01/11/2017 3:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
892 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quite a variety of 1917 coins so far. Can't wait to what else will show up here.

, this is an awesome idea for a thread! Love your SLQ MontCollector and that French 10 Centimes mysilveryears!
My humble contribution is my 1917 Canadian Large Cent:

Pillar of the Community
United States
3930 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the tnings emerging from this impromtu catalog is that as ugly as conditions were in 1917, in stark contrast coinage was generally really beautiful.

Here's another that makes the point, a 2 lire of Italy. The obverse depicts King Vittorio Emanuele III, while the reverse shows a personification of Italy driving a quadriga.

Colligo ergo sum
Edited by Lucky Cuss
01/11/2017 4:56 pm
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05