Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Large Cent 1881 SSn

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2816 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1881 SSN: The N's in Regina and Canada only have one-footed left bottom serifs ... just like all of the 1876's. Only half a left foot.

BTW, I traded emails with Dan in Crystal Lake last week and he hasn't done much with coins for the last year or so. However, we may hear from him shortly. It was a shame about the Canadian Copper Coin site ... it was good for a while and lots of old CCRSers came by. I was the moderator for the site, but it got inundated with spam from Eastern Europe and the owner, Shawn, got tired of having them fix it. It went kaput and I was out of a job.
Edited by okiecoiner
02/12/2017 5:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2816 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it was mentioned earlier in this thread, here is the info that I have on the 1882 2/1 dies. There were three different Obv 2/1 (probably 1a, not a 1)working dies. We only had room to put 2 of them into the 2011 Charlton... the most common one, with no doublings, and the one with heavy punch doubling. The non-Charlton one is much scarcer than the regular 2/1, but found more often than the HPD. It has minor doubling in Canada and Regina, but the most important marker is the denticles that are well-offset doubled between Vicky and Canada. The denticles look pretty neat and it's the only Vicky that I remember with that type of offset with the denticles. We did take some populations on those 3 types of 2/1. If you had 10 2/1's you would have 1 HPD, 3 type 2's (denticles) and 6 regular 2/1's. You could expect to find 1 of ANY type of 2/1 in 200-250 or so 1882's... so you can see how scarce the HPD really is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1882H Triple Die - the challenge to 1881SSN as the rarest Victoria Penny. This is Randy's example. My VF30 is sitting at PCGS right now waiting to be slabbed.

to add to okie's discussion, for every 10 1882H Heavy Doubling coins, there is 1 1882H Triple die.

So if 1882H Heavy doubling is 1:2000 1882s

1882H Triple Die is 1:20000 1882s

I have two (VF30, VG8), Randy has this PCGS EF40 details, and I believe Dan has one.

Edited by canadian-varieties
02/12/2017 7:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1427 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add canadian-varieties to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Woohoo! That's #5 known

I'm afraid to ask the condition

although so far PCGS does not list any in their population report
Pillar of the Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2017  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Vg raw
Pillar of the Community
United States
761 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a couple of other 1882-H Triple dies mentioned on Zonad's original thread, including this one that I found.

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2017  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChiTownRay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, thanks for that extra info Okie.

I'll look at my 1882s again. Wasn't aware of the TP.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05