Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Submit Thi 1832 Bust 50 Cents To PCGS W/O Getting Details-cleaning

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  03:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have an 1832 Bust 50 cents to grade but would like to avoid getting a details-cleaning designation on the PCGS slab similar to what I received on the following 1836 25 cents bust coin:

Pillar of the Community
United States
2802 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  03:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the Bust coin I'd like to submit. Do you think that this coin would get a details-cleaning designation from PCGS?

Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to this and may be very wrong but I would say yes, as I see what appears to be uniform rub scratches throughout.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16081 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  05:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The experts will SURELY pick it if it has been cleaned.
They will examine it in hand with a standard 10x magnification loupe, and WILL say so, if they think it HAS been cleaned.

Do YOU suspect that it has been cleaned? The answer you give yourself should enable you to submit it for grading or not.

BTW, I think it is a rather nice Bust Half anyway!

In terms of potential value, I think that this piece is a borderline case for grading, assuming that it comes back with a 'details cleaned'. If it gets a straight grade, slabbing is well justified in terms of potential value.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9232 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  06:15 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very high likelihood that Bust Half will go as cleaned as well. The obverse appears harshly cleaned in your images.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
1458 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  06:54 am  Show Profile   Check Andrew99's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of hairlines in the fields. This is not normal for a 200 year old XF. Its been cleaned and will details.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the group. It will get a details - cleaned grade from PCGS. If you can see hairlines in the photo, they'll be very evident when viewing with a loupe. Nice coin though, but I wouldn't pay for grading unless your okay with such a grade given that's probably what you'll receive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6362 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin has been cleaned. It seems deceitfut to try and get a problem-free grade out of it.

Quote:
The experts will SURELY pick it if it has been cleane

Not necessarily. I have seen coins with a much harsher cleaning in straight holders, especially with pre-Barber coins. It has gotten to the point that their opinion of originality is almost worthless.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's been cleaned. Notice the remaining shadows in the tight areas of the design elements that the dip and rub didn't get to. Not a submitter in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1963 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It has been cleaned. If it did get put in a straight holder, I wouldn't even buy it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to have been cleaned. I have gotten the details cleaning bug on a couple coins that I have submitted. Sometimes the cleaning can be difficult to identify in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My advice to the collector is buy the coin in the holder you want and don't try submitting raw coins on your own. Most of the worthwhile classic coins have already been graded; much of what is left will not grade.

If you are a dealer, that's another story, but to be a successful dealer, you need to learn what's good and what is not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin appears to have been cleaned. I have gotten the details cleaning bug on a couple coins that I have submitted. Sometimes the cleaning can be difficult to identify in hand.

And sometimes a coin will be declared "cleaned" on submission and get a straight grade the next time around. It takes an expert to decide if a coin is worth a second shot.

I once had an 1839-O half dollar declared "cleaned" by NGC. I knew that all that had been done to the coin was a dip, so I sent it to PCGS. They graded it AU-58.

A bunch of hairlines going in one direction are the killer however. If you see those, chances are it will never grade.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42745 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Save your money.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1735 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2017  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the photos, this does not look like it is worth the shot, it seems like a pretty clear 'Cleaning xx Details' piece
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2017  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jolteon1698 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cleaned
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.21 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05