Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hot off the press - Upper Canada Tokens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
8038 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  6:25 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Knowing his meticulous attention to detail, this one will be great for pre-confederate Upper Canada token collectors.

http://www.anecoins.ca/index.php?op...58&Itemid=68
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a fan of tokens and I know that Mr. Faulkner is one of the true experts in the field. But at $115 and a focus only on Upper Canada tokens, I think the author will have a hard time selling many of these.

I guess that there is always a tradeoff when you set out to write a book like this. You know the audience is small and the cost of reproducing lots of photos is high. So you want to make the exercise worthwhile for yourself. But I think though I would have opted for a much lower price point and would have published through a "printed-to-order on-line" publisher.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Check AgCoinAu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think of how much a university text book used to cost... in some of my more specialized classes $100 wasn't unfathomable... I think of this as an education with very specific knowledge if a very specialized area....

Now look who recommended it? An individual who writes for the RCNA. An expert on nickel dollars and errors amonst other things. If SPP gives this book the "nod" I don't think it would dissapoint anyone who is into this area of collecting at all. I have a few tokens but I wouldn't say it's my focus area... but this now has made my "Christmas Wish List"

Thanks for the heads up SPP!
R.C.N.A. #23833
Learn More...
Canada
8038 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2017  10:41 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smallcentguy - you have to think of this differently. This is the first major body of work on these tokens in 100 years. I suspect this will become THE reference for the next 100 years... Chris does not do this to make money, or to sell lots of books. Chris is a numismatist. Part of the hobby to him, is researching coins and then sharing his research. His previous book was on the PEI holey dollars, a fantastic piece of work - it sold surprisingly well, yet how many collectors can even afford a holey dollar or dump? Chris is also a retired (emeritus) professor at Carleton University, so writing and sharing his research is what defined his career.

Rob Turners books also are not cheap - but again, Rob published his books as a labour of love... In my opinion, Canadian numismatics needs more researchers like Chris and Rob...

Lastly, as an author of a book myself (except mine is in geology), there is something immensely gratifying in seeing a research project that you poured your heart and soul into come to an end with a physical, tangible book in your hands...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2017  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't disagree with either of you and I didn't mean to come off as negative. I am sure that this will be an excellent book. The effort to accumulate the knowledge to write and then to actually write it is something that few people would ever exert. As you say, a labour of love.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1438 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2017  07:59 am  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
< deleted by staff >

John Lorenzo
United States

*** Edited by Staff - this is not the proper venue to be requesting personal information. ***
Learn More...
Canada
8038 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2017  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the pleasure of working with Chris on this, we sat for hours in front of my XRF, testing his copper, bronze and brass tokens. There were definitely a few surprises, and I was pleased to see how a highly respected historian embraced a scientific approach to understanding the compositions of his tokens.

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05